cave reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roguediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just wondering what type or brand of cave diving reel everyone is using and why. I need a safety and a primary reel. just wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks.

Not doing cave diving, but I have some Canadian Extreme safety reels that are almost identical to the Extreme Exposure/Halcyon reels. They're available from eBay.

(edited)

oops I mean spools :)

I have Halcyon Spools, a Dive Rite Safety Reel, and a Dive Rite primary.

My suggestion is you use a safety SPOOL, not a reel.

I have bothe EE spolls and reele.

Roak

roakey

why just a spool ,why not a saftey reel?

pro vs con

I have to agree with roakey here, to a point. I do not use my safety reel, and instead use my spools. The reason I like spools is because I can place them in my high pocket, and they completly eliminate any snag potential of having a reel hanging off of my hip d ring. However, if you do not use a thigh pocket, then I would suggest the reel. I have seen people clip spools off to their hip dring only to have the spool come undone, and line flowing behind them.

As a non cave diver looking for information, what is the significance of the different lengths of line for a spool and names such as jump, gap and safety?

Tommy

Jump and Gap reels are essentially the same. They are used to connect two permemant lines, so you have a continuous line to the surface. They generally have around 50 feet of line in them.

Primary reels are used to run a line from the direct ascent zone/surface to the mainline in the cave. They are larger, and generally have anywhere from 250 to 400 feet on them.

Safety reels are also refered to as cavern reels by some. They are used to navigate in caverns so you always have a direct line to the surface. They are also used in caves to perform safety drills such as searching for a lost diver, or locating the permanent line if you lose sight of it. They usually have between 90 and 150ft of line.

The safety/cavern and jump/gap reels can also be purchased as spools. A lot of people, myself included, prefer this type of setup for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.

Then you can get into explorer reels. They are very large and have anywhere from 500feet of line on up. These are used in exploration for either measurements, mapping, or laying additional permanent line.

Safety Reel vs Spools

The safety reel DR makes has a metal to metal connection with only one point that needs to fail (ie the spring) leaving you potentially in a very bad position if it needs to be removed from your gear (Hip or rear dring etc). It cannot easily go in your left pocket with the rest of your safety gear. It can easily entangle and be rendered useless in the most intense situations (ie when you need it most and are really stressed). I can and will break. The spool solves all of the above issues but:

Takes more time to 'spool' up......but you get better with practice (although you will never outpace what a reel can accomplish as far as speed unless the reel gets entangled).

Spools require an extra configuration prior to the dive where you turn the double ender so as to make sure the line is situated away from the clasp...this takes a commitment to fine tuning but keeps the lost spools and CFs at a minimum.

Spools look cool.......so rule # six definately applies until they start making colored spools.

This stuff makes me laugh sometimes, but here you go anyway.
The DR gap reel has a double ended snap for attachment point.
The same double ender used on a spool. Go figure...........
It is minimally larger than a spool, but it will easily go in a thigh pocket, which is where I carry mine. If you can't use a simple gap reel without birdnesting it, then you can't use a larger reel without the same risk of entanglement either, so if your "reel challenged" then you should be using huge spools as well as the small one for line work. Is anyone using spools of various sizes in their arsenal ?
I have used various designs of gap and standard reels in the last 17 years in the worst conditions you can imagine. The spool is no different, it simply lacks a frame, but the function is the same. It pays out line, and it can be used to bring it back in. It has an inherent drawback as well, and that is severe twisting of the line, which can cause a CF as well as any conventional design.
I can use a spool just as easy for very short distances, which was the original intent, without twisting, by using the side holes much like a handle and winding the line straight on instead of around the perimeter.
It all comes down to the intended use and using the right tool for the job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom