Re: dive reports - what are "Suunto degrees"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reeveseye

Contributor
Reaction score
This is not a rant or anything; I'm just curious about something I've read here. I've noticed while reading the dive reports thread that several people here always refer to the water temps in terms of "Suunto degrees." What do you mean by that? I'm assuming this is a reference to Suunto dive computers. Do they measure temps differently than everyone else's?

THE SAD TRUTH....

They will try to tell you otherwise, but it's really just to show off that they own a suunto. They think it will help them attract more mates, have more children, and propogate their genes. Increase their status. Don't blame them, they can't help it though, poor things......

Scott
Proud owner of a $75 kick-a*s dive computer

scottfiji:
THE SAD TRUTH....

They will try to tell you otherwise, but it's really just to show off that they own a suunto. They think it will help them attract more mates, have more children, and propogate their genes. Increase their status. Don't blame them, they can't help it though, poor things......

Scott

That may be true in some cases, but the phrase "Suunto dgrees" started out with a valid reason. All the Suunto computers are slow to respond to changes in temp and tend to show the temp as colder than it really is. Also, the dive log simply shows one temp for the whole dive.

I asked the same question. Turns out the Suunto computers' thermal elements have a long time constant. The manual says it takes something like 20 minutes for the thermal element to register the correct temperature. So unless you stay at one depth for a long time, you're never quite sure of the temperature at that depth.

Oh, and only REAL men use Suunto computers.

scottfiji:
THE SAD TRUTH....

Scott

It's true, my life has changed since I started diving Suunto......I feel so bad for the rest. It became even better when I started using my Apeks regs.

MaxBottomtime:
I think it is also meant in a humorous vein. ChrisM was the first diver I saw posting a dive report with Suunto degrees. :D

Well, since I haven't found more mates or propogated my genes anywhere (thank god for that), I'd say that's a good bet :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom