Sea & Sea SWL 16 for Nikonos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RecklessAmateur

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Nikonos People:

I just bought this 16mm supplemental lens for my Nikonos set up and am wondering what f stop and focal distance I set it for (made more difficult since once you screw the Sea & Sea lens on you can't see the f stop or the distance on the 35mm anymore. Any advice or whereabouts of a manual for the lens? Thanks.

I used to have one. It came with stickers for the aperture and focus knobs. If my memory serves me, you set the focus at infinity and don't change it. Don't forget that you don't put the lens on until you are in the water. As a water-contact optic, it needs water to focus.

There was also a sticker for the top of the lens with a chart telling you the focusing range based on aperture. For example, at F11, everything from about 1.7 feet to infinity is in focus (approximately). F22 gives you one foot to infinity.

You can always count clicks from F2.5 or F22. That way you'll know what the aperture is.

The biggest limitation of the lens is that you need to not get closer than the lens will focus. If you do the photo will be soft. But if you shoot 100 speed film, 1/60 second at F11 pretty much everything from 60cm is in focus.

One of my best photographs came from that lens. I have a 16x20 inch cibachrome print that looks amazing. you can't tell that it wasn't done with a more expensive optic. Just make sure to use it right and you will be happy.

DesertEagle:
I used to have one. It came with stickers for the aperture and focus knobs. If my memory serves me, you set the focus at infinity and don't change it. Don't forget that you don't put the lens on until you are in the water. As a water-contact optic, it needs water to focus.

There was also a sticker for the top of the lens with a chart telling you the focusing range based on aperture. For example, at F11, everything from about 1.7 feet to infinity is in focus (approximately). F22 gives you one foot to infinity.

You can always count clicks from F2.5 or F22. That way you'll know what the aperture is.

The biggest limitation of the lens is that you need to not get closer than the lens will focus. If you do the photo will be soft. But if you shoot 100 speed film, 1/60 second at F11 pretty much everything from 60cm is in focus.

One of my best photographs came from that lens. I have a 16x20 inch cibachrome print that looks amazing. you can't tell that it wasn't done with a more expensive optic. Just make sure to use it right and you will be happy.

Thanks much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom