Thing I.D.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainmanpaul

Reaction score
Diving Shaws Cove and ran across a thing. Sorry for no picture and sorry for posting such a lame thread but the thing was really weird.
Brown in color with a slight pattern and about the size of a basketball, half of which is attached to a rock. You would think sponge maybe but it had a somewhat smooth surface that would recoil when I gave it a light poke with my finger. No openings, orifices, eyballs, tenicles, antenia etc.. just a big brown blob thing attached to a rock
Any Ideas?

mainmanpaul:
Brown in color with a slight pattern and about the size of a basketball, half of which is attached to a rock. You would think sponge maybe but it had a somewhat smooth surface that would recoil when I gave it a light poke with my finger. No openings, orifices, eyballs, tenicles, antenia etc.. just a big brown blob thing attached to a rock Any Ideas?
The only brown things about the size of a basketball that I can remember seeing around Laguna are colonies of sandcastle worms. These don't have just a "slight" pattern, though, and I wouldn't call them "somewhat smooth" -- they have channels of tubes cut into them that house the little worms that are mostly invisible from a distance, but which recoil if you come right up to them. I think the worms build the masses out of sand. The first time I saw one I was reminded of brain coral in the Caribbean. Were there any odd lights in the sky just before you saw this? :11:

Here's a colony of sandcastle worms at Shaw's ... as you can see, not smooth at all, but lots of tubes that the little worms live in ...

sandcastle-worms.jpg

Peter McGuinness:
Y'know, I think I saw one of those in the bottom of a coffee cup I had left in the garage for a month or so....

With The set up I gave you guys "Brown... Smooth ... Blob" I was expecting much more in the way comebacks, but then again this is a family show.
Anyway, It was big and alive and most likely a sponge of some sort but it didn't have the texture or the openings you would expect. Think snot from a whale with a head cold. How big do Sea Hares get?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom