Gue/dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi

Im interested in DIR training but i have a question.

I have heard that your certification is only valid for three years then you have to be re-certified. Is this true? And if so, is recertification like the padi refresher course or do you have to take the full-blown course again?

Thanks

I can not speak to the depth of the "re-cert" but according to GUE's website you are correct on the 3 years. It appears that it is a simple checkup for the re-cert but I am NOT speaking from personal expirence.

http://www.gue.com/classroom/standards/PDF/GUE_Standards_2003v2a.pdf
1.8.5 GUE Certified Diver Re-Qualification
All GUE diver certification cards expire three (3) years after the date of issue. A diver can be re-qualified six months before or six months after the expiration of their certification period by having his/her individual dive experience reviewed by either a qualified GUE instructor or by GUE Headquarters. To maintain GUE certification, GUE divers must a) complete and log at least twenty-five (25) dives at the level of their certification within a three-year period and, b) must provide evidence of such by producing their logbook or by mailing in or faxing copies of their logbook pages to a relevant GUE representative (see above). Upon review, divers can be issued a new certification card for a nominal fee.

Thanks
John

scubadooberdoo:
Hi

I have heard that your certification is only valid for three years then you have to be re-certified. Is this true? And if so, is recertification like the padi refresher course or do you have to take the full-blown course again?

Thanks

Where are you located?

Australia and it will be a while before i have the money/time to do a course. Im just evaluation all the tech training agencies around.

I also have another question. Why aren't split fins alowed? Is it just because they are possible line entanglements or is there other reasons (propulsion techniques etc)? I dont mean to re-ignite the debate, i just want to know.

I'm not DIR but I think the main reason are propulsion techniques. Try to do the back frog kick in splitted fins - no way. And this i know from my own experience.
Mania

scubadooberdoo:
Hi

Thanks
No, you do not have to take/retake any course. You do have to show evidence of 25 dives at the level you have been trained and cert'd to in order to keep your cert current. Evidence is just copies of the logged dives. These dives must have taken place over the three years since your cert or since last renewal.
Hope that helps.

dive safe!---brandon

scubadooberdoo:
I also have another question. Why aren't split fins alowed? Is it just because they are possible line entanglements or is there other reasons (propulsion techniques etc)? I dont mean to re-ignite the debate, i just want to know.

Also Split fins and penetration lines don't mix nicely... :)

Soggy:
Split fins do mix nicely with silt, though :wink:

oh, that's not fair!!

they mix well with sand and mud too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom