Moving from Philly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

babar

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy

I'm originally from NYC, lived in Philly for the last 5 years, and now moving to SoCal. Specifically to Marina Del Rey. I'll be working in Long Beach and LA. I'm now looking for a dive shop, club, buddies, and a place to dive. I've been doing some searching on the board, and am looking for some recommendations. I'm a relatively experienced diver, been diving about 10 years. Any specific recommendations?

Thanks

Babar

Any advice on culture shock?

Culture shock, Well there is the 80 degree weather on Christmas day and diving all year long to get use to.

Ok living in Marina Del Rey, Scottfiji and you should get well aquiainted. As for diving, Malibu, Redondo Beach and Palos Verde will be the place for you, but Laguna Beach is not too far to drive either.

www.sandeaters.org has a list and description of local dive sites. They also have a schedule of dives every Sunday at 8:00 a.m. Not a club, just a website with a schedule.

Welcome to LA.

As far as buddies go, you'll find lots of them right here on ScubaBoard. They'll take you to lots of cool places to dive too.

I'll let those closer to the Marina advise you on Local Dive Shops.

While I really enjoy hanging out with the crew from Hollywood Divers (my LDS) at their Dive Club meetings (really cool group of people), I find myself diving with people from ScubaBoard all the time. This probably has more to do with my penchant for beach diving than anything else. Since, I've decided to start diving more often on boats, I'll probably find myself diving with people from the local dive club more often as well. I'm sure you'll find some great people at whatever local dive club you find yourself drawn to. Divers just seem to be nice people.

Hope you can make it our for some dives with some of us on the board in the future. We've got our monthly Wrinkles Dive and BBQ coming up in Laguna Beach in June. You'll meet lots of potential dive buddies if you come out and join us.

Christian

babar:
Howdy

I'm originally from NYC, lived in Philly for the last 5 years, and now moving to SoCal. Specifically to Marina Del Rey. I'll be working in Long Beach and LA. I'm now looking for a dive shop, club, buddies, and a place to dive. I've been doing some searching on the board, and am looking for some recommendations. I'm a relatively experienced diver, been diving about 10 years. Any specific recommendations?

Thanks

Babar

Any advice on culture shock?

hi Babar

welcome to California

I live in Marina del rey

3 closest dive shops are sports chalet (marina del rey), ocean adventures (venice), eco divers (culver city)

when are you moving here?

dive boats leave long beach, san pedro, and ventura for catalina and anacapa islands

shore diving is in palos verdes, redondo beach, and malibu

how many dives have you done in the last year? mostly cold water or warm water?

FYI,
dives in LA county are also arranged on www.scubapost.net and www.divevets.com

www.sandeaters.com is a good resource for shore diving

Scott

I'm excited, Here the temps are low 50's so yeah, cold water, dry suit dives. Probobly about 15-20 dives this year. Moving mid june, but then I have to come back to philly finish out my job. Coming for good, july 1.

Thanks
Babar

And I'll take a look at those sites. Also I read the sticky on boat etiquette, and will bear that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom