Backup lights material: Aluminum or Delrin ~ which is better and are both DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Why does DIR advocate the use of a delrin backup light with a thin copper strip to complete the circuit as opposed to a solid aluminum light in which the entire body completes the circuit? The aluminum light is simpler and more foolproof.

Hmmmm.

Who said that an aluminum light wasn't DIR? And are you actually interested in DIR or are your recent posts trying to cause some sort of stir?

evad:
Why does DIR advocate the use of a delrin backup light with a thin copper strip to complete the circuit as opposed to a solid aluminum light in which the entire body completes the circuit? The aluminum light is simpler and more foolproof.

Perhaps a corrosion consideration? I'm not DIR so I can only guess.

Dearman:
Perhaps a corrosion consideration? I'm not DIR so I can only guess.
You're assuming that aluminum backup lights are not DIR. Personally I've never seen anyone say this, and I've seen DIR divers wearing them, so..........

jonnythan:
Hmmmm.

Who said that an aluminum light wasn't DIR? And are you actually interested in DIR or are your recent posts trying to cause some sort of stir?

Hmmm.....

I'm interested in why DIR doesn't recommend what seems to be a simpler, more foolproof design. They seem to think about these things. I'm also interested in
opinions about the validity of my initial assumptions about two different light designs.
As for other posts, they were not in the DIR forum and I don't see how trying to find the owner of a lost light is "trying to cause some sort of stir." The, admitedly, slightly provocative title was to meant to "stir" interest in the two questions mentioned above.

You never answered the initial question.

Who said an aluminum backup wasn't DIR?

Both of my backups are Al. I've never seen an indication that AL is not acceptable. The only requirements are type of battery, and type of bulb (and attachment considerations), AFAIK.

Ok, let me fix the question; is one design better than the other, and if the answer is "yes", then why is the better design not the recommended design?

I can't really help you there. They both seem like OK designs and I've never heard of either one failing to light... but I haven't used either underwater so maybe someone else can answer.

http://www.gue.com/equipment/lights.shtml

A link is worth a thousand words.

I would choose Delrin over aluminum because it holds up to being banged around better. Delrin doesn't ding up like aluminum or oxidize. Of course, Delrin is black ... :wink:

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom