Do fish play?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
The other day I was shooting the breeze with some friends talking about different kinds of intelligence in different species. The remark was made that one of the hallmarks of more sophisticated species is the capacity to play, rather than just to survive, eat and reproduce. (Of course you can argue that play behavior may be practice for survival activities, but that's another argument.)

We've all seen mammals (marine and otherwise) indulge in playful behavior. But I was hard-pressed to answer this question: Have you ever seen a fish [i.e. non-mammal] play? About all I could think of would be some of the rubber-lipped grouper type fish that allow divers to kiss them, and/or eels that become friendly with divers who regularly feed them -- but I didn't know that I'd categorize these behaviors as "play" per se.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

P.S. I couldn't find a message section here for marine life questions. Is this the place for a question like this?

Well, I'm certainly not among the more knowledgeable people when it comes to marine life, but I'm wondering just how we would recognize "play" in that environment.

Here are some guesses at possibilities:

Do octopi play? I've read that they are fairly intelligent.

Flying fish? Do they jump out of the water for fun, like dolphins, or is there another reason?

Sorry I don't have any answers, just questions!

otter-cat:)

I've watched lots of fish. I've never seen one play. I doubt they have the intelligence to play. I have seen octopuses play.

My calico oranda goldfish played all of the time. It had a little cave that I made in the tank, and it would swim around in circles to go in and out of it for a long time. It would also push around the scuba diver that I had in the tank. It would do loop to loops, and corkscrews. I think it was something in the water. :wink:

Poor little fishie black fins died last week though. He got an infection called tail rot, and by the time I got the medicine, the next day, and put it in the tank, he was dying. ;-0

So yes, I think fish can play.

I also think they can play. I've watched many fish on the reefs, and some of their activitys may be called nothing else but "playig".

I think all sentient (meaning "thinking" I think....) creatures play, including fish. I've seen behavior that certainly looked like play.

Tom

I don't know about fish. I've seen playful looking behavior but it's actually territorial displays or mating behavior.

I've had several personal interactions with Octupus' that can only be described as curiosity and at times seemingly playful.

Right... garabaldi do loops, move things around, chase, and make clicking noises, but these are all territorial and mating related behaviors. Just because a fish is doing something more interesting than swimming and eating doesn't mean the behavior is motivated by a desire to have fun.

Originally posted by MSilvia
Just because a fish is doing something more interesting than swimming and eating doesn't mean the behavior is motivated by a desire to have fun.

Nor does it mean it isn't. Play seems to be pretty nearly universal in the animal kingdom, why not fish too?

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom