SoCal Dive Extravaganza

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Some of us have hinted along the way about getting together for a more "adventurous" version of our monthly dive outings. I thought I'd raise the topic formally and see if it has legs. You know, run it up the flagpole and see who salutes (in case Melvin is reading this :D ).

What I'm thinking is to schedule a major trip, once or twice a year, where a bunch of us get together and go somewhere for a shore diving extravaganza. Maybe it doesn't have to be anything formal, we just pick a place and whoever's interested makes their own reservations and we meet there for a week. I suppose we could get fancy and get group discounts and stuff, but that kinda stuff gives me a headache. Sharing hotel rooms and cars and stuff would be save some money. And if we pick a place with good shore diving we could do this whole thing pretty inexpensively.

Anyway, what you guys think? Rouky and I did a mini version of it when we met each other in Kona. Had a blast. I can just imagine a group of us driving around the Big Island doing shore dives. I guess Scott and Shaka and company also did something like this in Mexico (Bufadora).

I am ....intrigued...let's see where this goes. Bonaire has really nice shore diving.

T.

I think it's a great idea!

Maybe the first one could be a road trip to someplace like Monterey for a weekend. That would get things rolling to see how many will actually participate when all is said and done.

Then Bonaire, Kona, Cancun, Cozumel, Fiji and maybe even Greenland! :D

OK... maybe Greenland might be too much adventure with all the icebergs floating around. But I hear its a great place to see six gill sharks.

Christian

I did the Singles Coz trip in March and had a blast!!!

Monterey would be cool. I camped and dove Jade Cove over Labor Day weekend. I'm headed to La Bocana this weekend with a group of divers too. I'm more for camping and diving, due to cost. I can't really afford the BIG trips. Although...I did meet the owner of the Agressor fleet at the Scuba Show! :eyebrow:

If I can afford it, I would definitely go.

headhunter:
I think it's a great idea!

Maybe the first one could be a road trip to someplace like Monterey for a weekend. That would get things rolling to see how many will actually participate when all is said and done.

Then Bonaire, Kona, Cancun, Cozumel, Fiji and maybe even Greenland! :D

OK... maybe Greenland might be too much adventure with all the icebergs floating around. But I hear its a great place to see six gill sharks.

Christian

If it's Monterey, then lets try to make it at least one weekday because the best shore diving there is in Whaler's cove, which is booked solid at the weekends. If we do that, I will certainly do my damndest to get there.

Peter

I was thinking of a week long vacation type of thing. And something more, uh, tropical I guess. And less chance for big surf and poor diving conditions. And less driving involved (what is Monterey, like 5 or 6 hours from here?). Hell, with the cost of gas for a drive up and back is probably the same as airfare to Hawaii.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating. RT flights to Hawaii are probably less than $500.

Anyway, Kona has a lot of nearby and easy shore diving sites, direct flight from LA, we could double up on hotel rooms/condos, share a car, etc., and probably bring the cost per person down to not much more than just airfare. And Kona has lots of turtles. And MANTA RAYS !!! And bright colored fishies. And warm water !!!!

Jim,

Thanks for the clarification. Now I get it! I was a little slow on the uptake. :11:

You're talking about officially going away for a week together as an unofficial ScubaBoard group.

That does sound great, but it may be a while before I can disappear for a week. I'm expecting to be newly employed soon and probably would not be able to get that much time off for quite a while.

But hey... I think you should all go for it and I'll join you when I can take that much time off again!

Christian

Condition of employment: one week paid vacation with the Scubaboarders. Non negotiable. You're worth it.

If you have any problems with that, let us know. We'll pay the guy a visit.... :D

mccabejc:
If you have any problems with that, let us know. We'll pay the guy a visit.... :D
I bet you know of a place where we can save money by buying cement in bulk too. :D

Christian

Okay divers...I have the best spot for a great diving escape, really inexpensive and close....Cabo Pulmo, Mexico...located on the tip of Baja Peninsula, on the Sea of Cortez side.

www.cabopulmo.com

Make sure to watch the intro. on the main page as it has a nice slide show of the area.

I've been there a couple of times, in October and also February...resort is in a Marine Park, very remote, great people running it with certified PADI center on property, perfect spot for divers and even non-diver significant-others can enjoy the place as, kayaking, snorkeling etc. available. Several direct flight fares from LAX to Cabo are roudtrip $200-$300 range depending on the time of the year. A van ride from airport to the resort is about 1 hr but as resort cabins have kitchens, I would recommend to make a grocery stop on the way.

If any interest, I'll be happy to coordinate....

Happy and safe diving....
Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom