Different rigs for different dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With lobster seaon close to starting up (for me), I'm faced with dilemma and I was wondering what other people do. I dive year round and I enjoy diving wrecks (at the rec level now, but I'm an aspiring tech diver). However, I also love lobstering. My problem is that my current rig involves blue/smurf DC drygloves and a 1K 18watt light. Both the gloves and the light are not optimal for lobsetering and will probably take a beating. I'm considering buying a second "cheap" DS and a less expensive light. Is this what other people do? Does the halycon/other expensive brand light stay at home when you are hunting bugs?

I go without the drygloves, and get along okay so far without an HID light (though they are awfully nice). Wet gloves with the drysuit, and a 6AA or 3C flashlight is what I use for lobstering.

You know that there is no correct answer.

Some people drive a Porsche to shop at Wally-World, other people leave it at the garage and buy the used car to go there. So, it is your call. In my case, I bring a Porsche rather than buying another car because I prefer the maximum utilization of the goods before throwing it away.:wink:

Soggy:
Smurf gloves and lobster don't mix.

I agree. I have seen the damage, and will not test the claw of the mighty lobster (nor the rocks for that matter)...

I always use neoprene 5mm gloves for lobstering, better dexterity and very cheap to replace if torn up, although they last for a few seasons anyways...

I always toss a cheap AA secondary light(Princeton Tech?) in my BCD pocket on every dive no matter what I'm doing. You never know when you'll need it and I frequently use it to look under rocks and into crevices. If you've got a BP/wing type set-up(no pockets), you could probably just attach it to one wrist with the lanyard or clip it off somewhere. It might also fit in a drysuit pocket. I'm sure you could grab one on the cheap at ebay, leisurepro, etc. Good luck.

LobstaMan

I say leave your expensive toys for tech dives and get something cheaper for lobstering. I recently started using the mini Q40 eLed head light and found it to be very useful on lobster dives:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40minieLed

I attach it to the mask and don’t even know it’s there until I need it. It can be tilted up and down to avoid blinding dive buddies and supposed to last like 100 hours on four AA batteries.

We talked about this some months back - anybody tried a large gardening type glove to go over your "grab hand" to protect the blue smurf or neoprene dry gloves? I am curious about this issue as well. I paid $200 for my DC neo dry glove system and I don't want to tear em up grabbing bugs. I really like the gloves though so I'm trying to figure out a solution...

--Matt

I keep a spare 4 AA light attached to my bc. I dont bother to use a light to look for bugs Find a hole reach in. If you get grabbed first you will know you found what you are looking for. Then you will have days like this. Also use 5 mm glove which need to be replaced yearly.

Swampy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom