unfortunate dive accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
Unfortunately there was another death in Tobermory this past long weekend. I do not have the particulars and I will not speculate. If any one has any information as to what happened please let me know. There was a report, but from what I understand there is not enough information so far available to know how unfortunately the diver died. The location was at light house point Fathom Five.

Also on a similar note I have been trying to do some research on the many deaths that have taken place over the last 20 or so years on the Arabia in Tobermory, if any of you guys have information I would appreciate if you could send it to me may it be a link or what you know as fact. I am particularly interested in how and why, Such as conditions , cold, Dark, Narcosis, out of air etc. I have got some information on some of the last deaths and conditions at the time , but I am looking to find out how many of these incidents had the same circumstances. The Arabia is a beatiful wreck at 110-120 feet and it is cold. It is a wreck that ALL divers should be well trained and equipped before diving. Thanks

I picked this up from Techdiver.com:

http://www.techdiver.com/Diver.nsf?Open

On a very sad note: I got word today that Michel Guerin -- a popular and karismatic Ontario-based diver and instructor -- died while diving in Tobermory, Ontario on Saturday, May 18, 2002. Michel was apparently diving his CC rebreather in about 5 meters (15 feet) of water in the popular central Ontario dive spot when something went tragically wrong. Michel was pulled from the water dead. Michel was a very experienced rebreather diver and a good buddy. My deepest sympathy to his many friends, students and his wife and family. I will keep you posted with details of service arrangements for Michel.

~SubMariner~

Stunning and Tragic do not even come close to describing how this event has hit everyone who knew Michel and the type of man that he was.

Michel was a good friend, who I will personally miss very much. All of us are still pretty shook up about this and preliminary reports are leading toward a rebreather malfunction.

The unit is currently at DCIEM for evaluation. On a side note I know how meticulous he was about the care and maintenance of this unit and we await further details from them on it.

I personally took two courses with Michel and have sent quite a few others to him for training. His level of expertise and attention to detail were to be admired as well as his breadth of knowledge and skill as a diver.

Funeral arrangements will take place shortly in his home town in Quebec and there will be a memorial service in the next week or two in Ontario.

One of us will post details about the memorial service when details have been announced.

Words cannot truly express how much he will be missed by all of us. Diving and the world have lost a fine person :(

Au revoir mon ami...

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends.

Chad

Does anybody know which rebreather he was diving?

Thoughts and prayers for Michel and all those affected by this very sad loss.

Originally posted by Rooster1
Also on a similar note I have been trying to do some research on the many deaths that have taken place over the last 20 or so years on the Arabia in Tobermory

I can't speak to the CCR death but I have experience on Arabia. She was actually my first cold water dive.

Before I went to Tobermory lots of folks cautioned me about this dive. I had never been in water below 60 degrees F.

When I got there it turned out that the scheduled shallow afternoon trip had been cancelled but one guy from the shop was going to the Arabia, I was invited to tag along as I was an instructor with many logged deep dives.

Sure, it was cold, it was dark too. I had a drysuit, I had a light. Quite frankly I found the dive fairly easy and uneventful. Nice wreck sure, tough dive, nope.

I dove the Forest City a few days later and found it much more challenging (and better in general).

Why do folks die on Arabia? My opinion is that it has been so widely built up that everyone who visits Tobermory feels they must dive it. When that happens you end up with clowns in deep water, always bad news, rarely mysterious.

Tom

My sympathies to his family and friends. Terrible news.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom