Where do you park at Norman's Woe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
And how do you get from there to the actual dive site?

You park out front by the fence and then you walk through the woods...it's not that far. then you go down the big giant boulders set up your stuff and then into the water.

Directions: At the end of SR 128 in Cape Ann, turn right on SR 127A (Cross Street), and then bear left onto SR 127 South. In 1.3 miles, you will cross a bridge. In another 1.5 miles, turn left onto Hesperus Ave. In 1.4 miles, parking will be at a fenced area on your left..

It is best to bring a wagon or cart of some type as it is a HIKE into the dive site. I am a huge fan of Norman's Woe. The amount of life is staggering and you have instant depth. This is an advanced dive as it is a pain to get in almost 100% of the time. This time of season I would say take a walk in first to see if it is dive-able prior to lugging in your gear. This early in the season bring your catch bag and lobster permit. I may head up North this weekend but I am not sure if I'll do Norman's as I am old and rusty after a long winter.

Here's a link with photos: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_East/Massachusetts/Normans_Woe/index.htm

According to Sharon Hepburn, you have to do a 3' giant stride at high tide. How deep is the entry spot (I really do not want to fall 3' with gear on into 2' of water!), and how do you enter at low tide?

mello-yellow:
According to Sharon Hepburn, you have to do a 3' giant stride at high tide. How deep is the entry spot (I really do not want to fall 3' with gear on into 2' of water!), and how do you enter at low tide?

A giant stride and shore diving do not mix. Why on earth risk it when you can slide in. It is not the most graceful entry but sitting on your back side and scooting in is safe and simple. If you only had a giant stride entry how would you get out? Ignore Sharon that is one crazy diver. High or low tide entry is not an issue getting out you have to time the waves and ride one in to the rocks.

edit: OOPS, I would say at the center of the rock you can get 12 feet instantly but there are rocks and I have a bad memory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom