Red tide -- affecting dive conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about doing some diving on Cape Ann this weekend, but have been reading all these stories about the "worst red tide since '72".....spread from ME to Cape Cod Bay

Has this affected coastal Cape Ann waters in terms of dive conditions...how's the vis been lately?

That's a good queston. I'm sure that the seas are still stirred up a bit (without the red tide) after the storm and that Sunday or Monday would be better than Saturday. As to the red tide, I was wondering it there were any health risks involved if you accidently got some sea water in your mouth.

there are no health risks to people unless you eat the meat of an affected shell fish. I wish I could back this up...but I know someone in the next post will...i am at work so I don't have my links handy

large_diver:
Thinking about doing some diving on Cape Ann this weekend, but have been reading all these stories about the "worst red tide since '72".....spread from ME to Cape Cod Bay

Has this affected coastal Cape Ann waters in terms of dive conditions...how's the vis been lately?

Here on the coast, it's been hard to tell what the viz is like in the water, cuz the viz has been so bad on land!

Seriously, I would expect to see higher than normal sediment stirred up from this week's pounding.

I'll let you know about the vis tommorow nite. I'm hoping to get out sat.

aquageek:
As to the red tide, I was wondering it there were any health risks involved if you accidently got some sea water in your mouth.

My understanding is that the problem comes when it is concentrated in shellfish. I skindove in a mess of it last summer with no ill effects. Swimming in water filled with what looked like hair cover with scum wasn't anything too special but beat staying dry.

Pete

god that would have been some unpleasant diving....with the chop and waves even entry into the water would be miserable.

lord1234:
god that would have been some unpleasant diving....with the chop and waves even entry into the water would be miserable.

LOL -- yeah, you're right.

Nice weather today -- would love to hear some feedback from folks who are out diving today.

Just got back from Cape Ann an hour ago. Went out with Easy Divers, awesome weather! visibility was pretty poor because of the storms. I dove in a wetsuit, temperature was 40 degress I believe. No problems. I saw lots of lobster unfortunately most of them were too small and the bigger ones were unreachable. I got nothing today :eek:(

Back
Top Bottom