Hilo volcano air tour; helicopter vs small airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We'll be going to Hilo to tour the volcano (and then Kona for diving few days later) . There are air tours offered by many helicopter companies and some on small airplanes. I suspect helicopters can move around easier and can probably give better close up.

Other than the price (small airplane tours are about 30% cheaper), would anyone know what the differences are.

Thanks in advance.

Do the Helo. Go early, first flight of the day as it tends to cloud up later. I think you can get a volcano/waterfalls hour tour for about $169/pp...Worth every cent! I took mom and the GF on the two hour tour from Waikoloa and even with Kamaina it was just over a grand for the three of us and only saw stuff I could see from the roads for the most part except for the hour of volcano/waterfalls. BTW the waterfalls are better than the lave IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom