Wanted -Your opinion of diver friend's QR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A guy from our Tuesday dive group who I've been diving with for over a year now, showed up last week at the dive with a slight change in his equipment. He'd been having some difficulties with his weight belt, so he removed the buckle and put on a quick release.

Please give me your thinking on this idea. I dive with him again on Monday and would love to print out this thread and share your thoughts (I know what mine are).

First, what type of difficulties has he been having? Second, what type of quick release is it?? Maybe I have been working too much, I can't visualize the QR.

Is the quick release designed for the width and weight of his weight belt? How "quick" is quick?? Does the belt now have the possibility of popping off in the middle of a dive?

Rick Inman:
A guy from our Tuesday dive group who I've been diving with for over a year now, showed up last week at the dive with a slight change in his equipment. He'd been having some difficulties with his weight belt, so he removed the buckle and put on a quick release.

Please give me your thinking on this idea. I dive with him again on Monday and would love to print out this thread and share your thoughts (I know what mine are).
Hi Rick;

Is this the kind with the arm that slips through the buckle and cams over? Have a small hole in the end of the arm?

If it's the kind I think it is they are fine and we dove with them for a lot of years. Better in areas where your on your gut a lot.

Gary D.

MikeC:
Is the quick release designed for the width and weight of his weight belt? How "quick" is quick?? Does the belt now have the possibility of popping off in the middle of a dive?
Designed for width of weight belt. This style :

Gary D.:
Hi Rick;

Is this the kind with the arm that slips through the buckle and cams over? Have a small hole in the end of the arm?

If it's the kind I think it is they are fine and we dove with them for a lot of years. Better in areas where your on your gut a lot.

Gary D.
Hi Gary!! Workin the lake this weekend? I'll be at Sanders diving Monday.

As to the QR, it's the cheap plastic job as pictured above.

Rick Inman:

Sound like he's not having a problem with the weight belt but with the buckle. I never seen that before, some don't like the plastic buckles and replace them with good SS one, but replacing it with a quick release IMO is not a very good idea.

What sort of difficulties is he having? Is he is having trouble getting the belt tight enough or is it something else?

I would never dive with a QR buckle on my weight belt, and I'd hate for a buddy to do it. :11:

I don't like plastic buckles, but the stainless are good.

I'd say the Tomahawk Missle tube is flooded and ready for launch. One good bang or some UV degradation and it would really suck to be sitting below him.

Just my thoughts. Don

Skipraha:
I'd say the Tomahawk Missle tube is flooded and ready for launch. One good bang or some UV degradation and it would really suck to be sitting below him.

Just my thoughts. Don

Or above. I've got visions of some unfortunate buddy riding a polaris missile into space...

Why on earth would someone want that on the only thing keeping them from hitting the surface at a dangerous speed?

Back
Top Bottom