Alabama Gulf State Pier Fishing Report 5-28-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Took the Zodiac out of Bayou Point yesterday and headed out of Perdido Pass in Orange Beach and West a few miles to the Gulf State Park Pier in Gulf Shores. The pier isn't open for divers normally, but Hurricane Ivan busted it up nicely, so its condemned and closed to fishermen ontop - which opens it up for divers by boat. There is no land access to it, the roads were destroyed as well. Current was moving very slowly from the West and there weren't any seas to speak of - it was glassy on the way out and a bit of wind chop on the way in.

There were large schools of mullet and spadefish everywhere. There were also sheepshead, white trout, redfish(drum), pompano, and hardtails schooling. Flounder littered the bottom and we took 5 of em as well as a nice sized sheepshead, filling the small styrofoam icechest we picked up from the gas station :)

Visibility varied from ~3' to 30+' depending on which side of the pier you were on and at what depth in the water column you happened to be in. Theres a funky layer on top, I believe from spawning, and the bottom is pretty stirred up, I believe from the dregding taking place not too far off. Midwater was very clear.

Whats the depth on the end?

SuPrBuGmAn:
Took the Zodiac out of Bayou Point yesterday and headed out of Perdido Pass in Orange Beach and West a few miles to the Gulf State Park Pier in Gulf Shores. The pier isn't open for divers normally, but Hurricane Ivan busted it up nicely, so its condemned and closed to fishermen ontop - which opens it up for divers by boat. There is no land access to it, the roads were destroyed as well. Current was moving very slowly from the West and there weren't any seas to speak of - it was glassy on the way out and a bit of wind chop on the way in.

There were large schools of mullet and spadefish everywhere. There were also sheepshead, white trout, redfish(drum), pompano, and hardtails schooling. Flounder littered the bottom and we took 5 of em as well as a nice sized sheepshead, filling the small styrofoam icechest we picked up from the gas station :)

Visibility varied from ~3' to 30+' depending on which side of the pier you were on and at what depth in the water column you happened to be in. Theres a funky layer on top, I believe from spawning, and the bottom is pretty stirred up, I believe from the dregding taking place not too far off. Midwater was very clear.

Max'd at 18', probably could have hit 20 if I hugged the bottom a bit more.

I was wanting to hit it again Monday, but the damned weather didn't cooperate and the seas picked up. My 10' inflatable is cool and all, but it doesn't like too big of seas, especially when its loaded with gear. Flipped her once already... ugh!

Back
Top Bottom