U853 this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this under another thread but figured I would share with my NE dive buddies.

The weather cooperated and I managed to get two deco dives on the U853 yesterday. The vis was as good as I have ever seen it there and we had virtually no current. Great day to dive the BI Sound. We steamed over to the Bass initially for dive #1 but the mooring was gone - hopefully to be replaced soon. (I did not have sufficient anchor line onboard to anchor in 160' of water). So we decided to do both our dives that day on the U. My two buddies wanted 1 long dive rather than 2 shorter dives so I was solo for both my dives. The water temp was 49 degrees on the bottom and only 50 at the surface. Max depth for dive 1 was 128', dive 2 was 125'.

The beauty of a deco dive on the U is the ability to look at the entire wreck on one dive. NDL on this gets you half the wreck and that's if you stay at the top of the hull structure. I was able to cruise along the top of the hull at 113'. I went into the aft torpedo room through a blast hole and exited the same room through the aft torpedo loading hatch. I had doubles and an alum 80 deco bottle so it was snug - I actually had to wiggle a bit to get through it. I'm not a huge fan of hard overhead environments.

The wreck lies such that a heading of 330 degrees will take you to the stern and 150 degrees will take you to the bow. Tons of Squirrel Hake and jelly fish. Some of the jelly fish had 6' long tentacles.

Great dives on the U853. I am never disappointed with this wreck.

--Matt

Sounds like a great dive Matt.

What were your mix and bottom times?
matt_unique:
I posted this under another thread but figured I would share with my NE dive buddies.

The weather cooperated and I managed to get two deco dives on the U853 yesterday. The vis was as good as I have ever seen it there and we had virtually no current. Great day to dive the BI Sound. We steamed over to the Bass initially for dive #1 but the mooring was gone - hopefully to be replaced soon. (I did not have sufficient anchor line onboard to anchor in 160' of water). So we decided to do both our dives that day on the U. My two buddies wanted 1 long dive rather than 2 shorter dives so I was solo for both my dives. The water temp was 49 degrees on the bottom and only 50 at the surface. Max depth for dive 1 was 128', dive 2 was 125'.

The beauty of a deco dive on the U is the ability to look at the entire wreck on one dive. NDL on this gets you half the wreck and that's if you stay at the top of the hull structure. I was able to cruise along the top of the hull at 113'. I went into the aft torpedo room through a blast hole and exited the same room through the aft torpedo loading hatch. I had doubles and an alum 80 deco bottle so it was snug - I actually had to wiggle a bit to get through it. I'm not a huge fan of hard overhead environments.

The wreck lies such that a heading of 330 degrees will take you to the stern and 150 degrees will take you to the bow. Tons of Squirrel Hake and jelly fish. Some of the jelly fish had 6' long tentacles.

Great dives on the U853. I am never disappointed with this wreck.

--Matt

MSilvia:
Sounds like a great dive Matt.

What were your mix and bottom times?

The plan was to dive the Bass for dive 1 so I had a backgas mix of EAN24 and 67% in my single deco bottle. I needed the 24% mix to stay above a 1.4 pp02 at depth on the Bass. I intended to have a 70% single deco gas but what the shop prepared was 67%.

Profile looked like this:

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 1 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0ft
Conservatism = + 2

Dec to 118ft (2) Nitrox 24 50ft/min descent.
Level 118ft 22:38 (25) Nitrox 24 1.10 ppO2, 112ft ead
Asc to 50ft (27) Nitrox 24 -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 50ft 0:44 (28) Nitrox 24 0.60 ppO2, 47ft ead
Stop at 40ft 1:00 (29) Nitrox 67 1.48 ppO2, 0ft ead
Stop at 30ft 2:00 (31) Nitrox 67 1.28 ppO2, 0ft ead
Stop at 20ft 10:00 (41) Nitrox 67 1.08 ppO2, 0ft ead
Surface (41) Nitrox 67 -30ft/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 79.8ft

OTU's this dive: 46
CNS Total: 16.3%

41 minutes turned out to be just right for me with the 49 degree water temp.

I had tons of jelly fish to look at during the hangs. I usually hold the mooring line with my right hand while watching one of my computers on my left wrist. A jelly fish came by and snagged the line. Ha ha - gave me a jump when I turned to the right to see this thing right in my face.

Good luck for June Soggy. Maybe you will be rewarded with the conditions of a lifetime. I spoke with Bill Palmer a few years ago (diving the U since the 70's, also made a video of the wreck inside and out). He told me he has seen 40' of vis a few times over the years. Imagine?!?!?!

--Matt

matt_unique:
Good luck for June Soggy. Maybe you will be rewarded with the conditions of a lifetime. I spoke with Bill Palmer a few years ago (diving the U since the 70's, also made a video of the wreck inside and out). He told me he has seen 40' of vis a few times over the years. Imagine?!?!?!

--Matt

From what I hear, he has half of the U-853 in his basement. I've met him a couple times...interesting guy...he wears an iron cross recovered from the 853 as a necklace :eek:

What was your vis like?

Soggy:
From what I hear, he has half of the U-853 in his basement. I've met him a couple times...interesting guy...he wears an iron cross recovered from the 853 as a necklace :eek:

What was your vis like?

I never met Bill in person - we spoke on the phone. Pretty wild he wears a U853 artifact as a necklace.

We had at least 25' of vis Sat and almost no current.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom