ear crackling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpd8888

Registered
Reaction score
I made a dive about 2 weeks ago and didn't have any problems with my ears and I have since noticed that I have a crackling in my right ear. I haven't seen a doctor yet cause I haven't had any pain is this something I should worry about has anyone else ever had this problem???

i've had something similar from time to time. right or wrong, i haven't paid much
attention to it because it doesn't bother me and i can clear ok 100%

to be sure, maybe you should call DAN and ask them about it?

1-800-446-2671

jpd8888:
I made a dive about 2 weeks ago and didn't have any problems with my ears and I have since noticed that I have a crackling in my right ear. I haven't seen a doctor yet cause I haven't had any pain is this something I should worry about has anyone else ever had this problem???

not sure if you are new to diving or not but if you are new then it maybe that you are more aware of your estation tubes and the sounds they make as they are stretched. I use to not notice it at all but now I notice it all the time. If I don't hear the cracling sound when my jaw moves or I yawn I think something is wrong.

Jeremy

I figured it couldn't be anything serious If it didn't hurt I can still clear ok and everything thanks for the quick response.

JKSteger:
not sure if you are new to diving or not but if you are new then it maybe that you are more aware of your eustation tubes and the sounds they make as they are stretched. I use to not notice it at all but now I notice it all the time. If I don't hear the crackling sound when my jaw moves or I yawn I think something is wrong.

Jeremy

Sweet! This is like hearing "if it itches that means it's healing" from my mom. Glad to know my eusties (my nickname for da tubes) are stretching and growing with my new found diving abilities. Now if I could just talk my ear canal into not providing prime real estate for infections and fungi, I'd be good to go!

jpd8888:
Happens to me all the time, and like Pipedope, I ignore it 'till it goes away. Funny, I made two dives today, and I saw your post and I'm right now sitting here eating sunflower seeds and the crackling makes it difficult to hear the TV - which is really a blessing! :wink:

Rick Inman:
the crackling makes it difficult to hear the TV - which is really a blessing! :wink:

Ha! :) Way to make lemonade out of lemons my friend!

-Chris

jpd8888:

I got that after one of my first pool sessions. It may take a few weeks to go away. Pay closer attention to equalizing. This is common, do a search for "crackling" in the dive medicne forum.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=99115&highlight=crackling

Pete

I would bet you that you hear that sound when you are ascending.....yes?? Not when you are going down or hovering.

If the above is correct...it is merely pressure changes and nothing to worry about...if fact...use it. There are times I get so involved in something that the crackle tells me I am asceding...when I have no desire to do so.

If none of the above applies.....never mind.

rich

I had something like that once and when I went to the doctor he found that I had a small hair that was loose and up against the ear drum. He removed it with a Q-tip and all was well.

Back
Top Bottom