Roatan Bugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mermaid52

Reaction score
How are the bugs in Roatan in July. Headed there for the first time end of July. Any and all suggestions on Roatan welcome. :06:

mermaid52:
How are the bugs in Roatan in July. Headed there for the first time end of July. Any and all suggestions on Roatan welcome. :06:

I think bugs (noseeums) in particular are always bad in Roatan, probably more so in the Summer. They're a hard to see sand gnat that are worse than mosquitos and leave pencil eraser size welts. Most people that I've talked too swear by insect repellants that use DEET. Most of them have a percentage of DEET that ranges from 15-100%.

I think this topic has come up several times on Scubaboard so a search might give you some better information.

Kriterian:
I think bugs (noseeums) in particular are always bad in Roatan, probably more so in the Summer. They're a hard to see sand gnat that are worse than mosquitos and leave pencil eraser size welts. Most people that I've talked too swear by insect repellants that use DEET. Most of them have a percentage of DEET that ranges from 15-100%.

I think this topic has come up several times on Scubaboard so a search might give you some better information.
Yes thank you, I found it after I had posted.

Kriterian:

There's a local product called "Cactus Juice" that works wonderfully. We got the lotion, which has a nice texture and smell (as well as an SPF rating), and had negligible issues with the bugs. It's a bit pricey, but it's not DEET.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
There's a local product called "Cactus Juice" that works wonderfully. We got the lotion, which has a nice texture and smell (as well as an SPF rating), and had negligible issues with the bugs. It's a bit pricey, but it's not DEET.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thank you, as a matter of fact I found some of the Cactus Juice on ebay and got it. At a fair price too. I'll let you all know how it works on this fair skinned, blonde, bug loving gal.

Everytime I see a post like this I open it up to see what info is up about lobsters....then i end up reading a whole post about mosquitos. D'OH!

mermaid52:

Hiyas!

We were in Roatan last year, and out of the whole group of people we were hanging out with only two got bitten by the bugs. But.... those two were eaten alive and miserable. The rest of us were not touched. I would suggest the Cactus Juice and enjoying yourself. We had a blast! bug or no bugs..

-Moon

salunra:
Hiyas!

We were in Roatan last year, and out of the whole group of people we were hanging out with only two got bitten by the bugs. But.... those two were eaten alive and miserable. The rest of us were not touched. I would suggest the Cactus Juice and enjoying yourself. We had a blast! bug or no bugs..

-Moon
Hi we were at CCV last year when you were there and got engaged. We just got back a few weeks ago. I was wondering how you were. Don't see you on the board much.
Ann

mermaid52:

I think the most important thing to remember is to reapply your bug spray EVERYTIME you get in or out of the water. Don't think just because you put it on once in the morning that is enough. I have seen some terrible bug bites on people that didn't reapply the spray after they got of the water and walked throught the sand.
Keep it with you everywhere you go.
You're going to need more then one bottle if you're prone to bug bites like me.
Have fun. Great diving!

Just got back from AKR, bring Sportsman 40% DEET, one can per person per week. After we ran out we got Cactus Juice and it was "eh".

Back
Top Bottom