Missile Silo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried it ?

It would be a fun conversation starter:

Bambi: Lil' Irish Temper, How are you? Have you been working out ?

Lil' Irish Temper: Oh, Hi Bambi. Good, Why no I have not been.

Bambi: So what did you do this weekend?

Lil' Irish Temper: Not much, besides diving in a Nuclear Missle Silo.

Bambi: :11:

Way too cool. I think it would be neat to dive just to say that you did it. Of course it would be even nicer if you could get the t-shirt. :D

Lil' Irish Temper:
Anyone ever tried it ?

It would be a fun conversation starter:

Bambi: Lil' Irish Temper, How are you? Have you been working out ?

Lil' Irish Temper: Oh, Hi Bambi. Good, Why no I have not been.

Bambi: So what did you do this weekend?

Lil' Irish Temper: Not much, besides diving in a Nuclear Missle Silo.

Bambi: :11:

Y'know... I have always been a little leery of that dive. Not anything specific that I can point to, but those missles were loaded with plutonium, and as I understand it, had some pretty toxic fuel either loaded in them or right next to them. I know they were shielded, and I know that the Army has very precise and specific procedures to keep stuff from leaking out... but...

mongoose:
Y'know... I have always been a little leery of that dive. Not anything specific that I can point to, but those missles were loaded with plutonium, and as I understand it, had some pretty toxic fuel either loaded in them or right next to them. I know they were shielded, and I know that the Army has very precise and specific procedures to keep stuff from leaking out... but...
maybe then there will be no need for SCUBA gear once you mutate some gills ^^

I dove it last year. And you can get the T-shirt. In fact, the owner only lets you have one. He keeps a log and told me you can only get a new one if you bring the tattered remains of the first one back to him.

I also spent a considerable amount of time talking to him about the silo while waiting for the other divers. He has had the air and water tested there and everything is normal - no toxic stuff at all. He said he was a little concerned about the lack of life in there (no mice or anything) until he realized nothing is going to live in the dark.

If you're going to do the dive, do it soon. The silo is on the market. I don't think there have been any potential buyers, but you never know when it will happen.

I actually started the movement for the trip we did last year here on SB. I just posted a message in the Texas forum and Debraw decided to organize the trip through her shop.

We'll be travelling through Texas again in December, so if anyone wants to set something up, count us in. It is a BTDT dive, but we'd do it again.

mongoose:
I know that the Army has very precise and specific procedures to keep stuff from leaking out... but...
Yes, the Army has *cough* very good procedures to keep stuff from leaking out. Check the ground in an armor battalion's motor pool sometime -- drip pans or no drip pans.

(That's not a slam... the Army really does try to prevent pollution, believe it or not... it's just that it's not an easy job by any means...)

However, ICBMs and their silos were/are run by the Air Force...
04.gif

--Marek

Marek K:
However, ICBMs and their silos were/are run by the Air Force...
04.gif

--Marek

Good point, quite correct. I had consumed a few mass quantities when I wrote that.

Dive-aholic:
I also spent a considerable amount of time talking to him about the silo while waiting for the other divers. He has had the air and water tested there and everything is normal - no toxic stuff at all. He said he was a little concerned about the lack of life in there (no mice or anything) until he realized nothing is going to live in the dark.

Our government wouldn't lie about something like that, would they? :11:

Dive-aholic:
If you're going to do the dive, do it soon. The silo is on the market. I don't think there have been any potential buyers, but you never know when it will happen, we'd do it again.

They only want 1.4 million, wonder if they would take a check ? :D

out of state travellers check signed over from a third party?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom