diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
well it turned out to be a great day to be on a boat.
we got on aur way early afternoon, and due to out late start we wanted to stay relativley close.
so we tried out luck at "high pines"
not ever diving there, we motored aruod a bit lookin for a ledge of sorts. then finallly just picked a spot.
droped anchor in about 55 feet of water, and did two dives
water temp was about 48 and i got a max depth of 68 feet.
not alot of marine life, but it might be earlet yet.
bottom composition was rockey with scattered boulders, and sandy spots.

Lucky you, I dove Brant Rock (marshfield, MA). Vis as 3-5', max depth 11' and we got caught in a lightning storm :(

Sounds like a 'dive' at Haddad's would have been a better choice.

LobstaMan

I have been noticing the same with not a lot of life in the local waters, yet. My guess is that it's dude to the unseasonable chilly waters. However, it's nice to hear folks are getting out and diving.

MASS-Diver, did you happen to record the winds at Brant Rock? I have noticed the same over there were the sand get churned up and viz goes right down the crapper. But I can never remember the winds (since I beleive the winds contribute the most to poor viz)

I love High Pines, but there's way too many anglers out there come mid-summer, unless you can get ther mid-week at the crack of dawn.

Diesel298:
well it turned out to be a great day to be on a boat.
we got on aur way early afternoon, and due to out late start we wanted to stay relativley close.
so we tried out luck at "high pines"
not ever diving there, we motored aruod a bit lookin for a ledge of sorts. then finallly just picked a spot.
droped anchor in about 55 feet of water, and did two dives
water temp was about 48 and i got a max depth of 68 feet.
not alot of marine life, but it might be earlet yet.
bottom composition was rockey with scattered boulders, and sandy spots.

scubastew:
I have been noticing the same with not a lot of life in the local waters, yet. My guess is that it's dude to the unseasonable chilly waters. However, it's nice to hear folks are getting out and diving.

MASS-Diver, did you happen to record the winds at Brant Rock? I have noticed the same over there were the sand get churned up and viz goes right down the crapper. But I can never remember the winds (since I beleive the winds contribute the most to poor viz)

There was a surge (from ocean swells) and the wind came around to N/NE - in terms of vis it's all about West winds. Brant rock is a really poor spot anyways - it's really, really shallow - you might as well just free dive.

I have experienced those nasty swells you speak of; dive-buddy and I were tossed around pretty hard until we called it after 10 minutes or so.

thanks for the info john! you said that it's best under west winds? From my shore diving experience most of the south coast is not very diveable under Northeast Winds.

cheers and again thanks

MASS-Diver:
Lucky you, I dove Brant Rock (marshfield, MA). Vis as 3-5', max depth 11' and we got caught in a lightning storm :(

I actually was packed and ready to head out to Brant Rock Sunday afternoon; when the lightening started and dive buddy hid under the bed. Well maybe not literally but he sure wasn't taking any chances of getting a little wet before diving. Are the lobsters showing up yet? If you swim out about 2 miles you can crack the 11' mark. In my experience if you head to the left of the beach entry toward the rockier side of the beach you will find some huge Lobsters over that way too big to keep but awsome to look at.

MASS-Diver:
yeah i saw that storm....
we got outa the area right as it started to catch up to us....

Back
Top Bottom