Where to go???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
I am taking my family on a dive vacation in August and am not sure where to go. I'm thinking Southern CA or Florida for the warmer waters. Idaho's are a little chilly for my wife.

My wife and I only have 10 dives and my son and daughter were just certified in January. (Open water dives done in a snow storm at a lake in Nevada)

Where would you recommend for us with their being new and needing some easier first dives? We will be doing a lot of local dives before we come so all will be somewhat more experienced by then. Probably around 25-30 dives.

Thanks for the help...

Carl

I would expect the water here to be mid-high 60's. It would not be cheap, but you might want to look in to weekday packages (hotel, ferry, diving) for Catalina Island. The upside - no hurricanes.

carldarl:
My wife and I only have 10 dives and my son and daughter were just certified in January. (Open water dives done in a snow storm at a lake in Nevada)

Hi Carl, If you want sort of warm water, then Catalina will be a great place. good boat diving, with sea lions, garabaldi, Lemon sharks, bat rays to see. It's not tropical with the clarity and colors of a coral reef, but diving in the kelp is cool!

Where did your kids get certified in Jan in Nevada? my neck of the woods: Tahoe? or the other side of the state? Just curious...

I would suggest you do some boat dives. Check out Catalina via a boat or the Channel Islands on a boat. If you're going to do shore dives, there are plenty of good dive sites on the mainland.

Have a good trip!

Sean

Thanks for the ideas. Catalina is a posibility but my wife is saying WARMER so Florida or Coz may be the choice.

divetaho... There is a small lake near the Utah boarder that is heated to around 70 degrees by thermal springs. They do a lot of winter certifications there but it is definately cold when you get out. No facilities at alol so you strip to your skivvies and jump in the truck quick.

We lived in Reno for a year so Tahoe may be in the future as well.

Thanks all

carldarl:
Thanks for the ideas. Catalina is a posibility but my wife is saying WARMER so Florida or Coz may be the choice.

divetaho... There is a small lake near the Utah boarder that is heated to around 70 degrees by thermal springs. They do a lot of winter certifications there but it is definately cold when you get out. No facilities at alol so you strip to your skivvies and jump in the truck quick.

We lived in Reno for a year so Tahoe may be in the future as well.

Thanks all

Check this site out, I have been there twice and both were magnificant trips, great people, great weather, diving conditions...no TVs, phones etc. very remote and relaxing. Won't regret it.
Cheers.....

www.cabopulmo.com

carldarl:
Thanks all
Coz in Augst will be warmer alright; like 98-105 degrees-during-the-day warmer!

Ifyou can tolerate the heat, Go to MX. The diving is good on the other side of the country as well. I was in Puerto Vallarta last June, diving was good, the water was warm and the air hot!

That is my concern in August. We were at Cozumel in February and it was perfect. Both water and air. I can't imagine it in August. The Keys look really good but it is Huricane season then and also very hot. What is the water temp in August at the lake? Maybe that is a posibility. Any wrecks or scenery at depth there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom