A few from Memorial Day w/e (images)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Over Memorial Day weekend, we took the Popeye Maru out to dive Santa Monica Bay. A red tide was in full bloom, staining the water the color of coffee. We decided to make a run to the northern part of the Bay, to the wreck of the Star of Scotand, in hopes of finding better conditions. Passing LAX, going North, we noticed that the brown color of the wake changed to a promising blue/green.

I dropped on the wreck first, to check the conditions; it was cold (~50 degrees), with marginal visibility (~10 feet). Not a great day for wide-angle photography, but nice for macro. We did two dives on Saturday and went back on Sunday to try again. Alas, the brown water had creeped further north and vis was about half of what it had been on Saturday. We did one dive and call it a weekend.

Here are a few pics from our dives:

Acorn barnacle

acorn.jpg

Angel shark

angel.jpg

Facelina stearnsi nudibranch & tube worm

stearsi.jpg

Strawberry anemones

anemone.jpg

Rock scallop and Spanish Shawl (can you see the scallop's eyes?)

scallop.jpg

Keyhole limpet (looks like an eye!)

limpet.jpg

More about the Star of Scotland wreck:

Star of Scotland

Great pics Jim, thanks for sharing. Nice detail on the barnacle.

btw, for some reason Angel sharks have been sighted all over the place lately! I think June is mating & feeding month.

yes, I saw the eyes. The scallop obviously saw you and quickly closed up!

I hope to dive the star of scotland sometime. I'm in marina del rey, you can bring me along any time! :)

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom