Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba65

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, hubby and I finally decided to buy a boat..though i didn't think it would be so difficult on deciding which boat to buy. it's going to be a cabin cruiser, but it also has to be roomy enough so we can take the dogs with us and enough room also for all the dive equipment. I can't wait to get it here soon.

Scuba65:
Well, hubby and I finally decided to buy a boat..though i didn't think it would be so difficult on deciding which boat to buy. it's going to be a cabin cruiser, but it also has to be roomy enough so we can take the dogs with us and enough room also for all the dive equipment. I can't wait to get it here soon.

Have you decided on the boat?

sorta..why?

Well, i think it's going to be a Bayliner....what do you have?

Scuba65:
Well, i think it's going to be a Bayliner....what do you have?

I have the Bayliner Capri model 1952. I have a good relationship with a local dealer and could refer you to a specific salesman if you're interested. I also get my service and winter storage with the same dealership.

What specific model are you thinking about? It sounds like you are looking for a 20 something footer. My goal is to order my next boat in 2 years (it can take up to 5 months to get a boat with certain factory accessories). I am torn between the 222 Classic (with hard top and marine head) or the 242 Classic. I've spoken with owners of both. The 222 has more HP for it's size (both have the same standard 220hp engine) and more space on deck for guests or dive gear. The 222 can also be towed with a modest tow vehicle.

The 242 offers less deck space but a more comfortable cabin. I spend more time doing day trips with lots of dive gear or guests so I will probably go with the 222. It is tempting to have a nicer (larger) cabin for those weekend getaways though.

Good luck with your search. Bay's are great boats and the best value for the $$ in my opinion. I had my 19' loaded literally to capacity this past weekend (1100lbs total with 3 divers with doubles, 4 deco bottles, etc., etc.) cruising a total of 50 miles in Block Island Sound.

--Matt

Well, we've seen a few of them..but, can't decide what we want...it's either from a 21 to a 24'. It's just such a difficult decision. though i can't wait to get one. ? do you have a GPS on your's??? cause we are debating on a combo gps/fish finder.

Scuba65:
Well, we've seen a few of them..but, can't decide what we want...it's either from a 21 to a 24'. It's just such a difficult decision. though i can't wait to get one. ? do you have a GPS on your's??? cause we are debating on a combo gps/fish finder.

The difference between the 21' Cuddy and the 22' Classic Cruiser are quite dramatic believe it or not. The Cuddy comes only with a porta potti and a cabin that you can only lay down in. The 222 Cruiser offers a stand up enclosed bathroom with marine head and holding tank, freshwater sink, table that can accomodate adults sitting comfortably upright, and just lots more storage space. There are many small refinements that make a huge difference; hard top on the 222 Classic Cruiser, windshield wiper, trim tabs, anchor storage locker with anchor roller, etc., etc. Basically everything that is inconvenient on my boat is addressed with the 222 Classic.

As with any ocean going boat there is the purchase price and then there is the equipment costs. They are two seperate items that need to be accounted for. Here is a short list: bottom paint if you plan to keep it slipped or moored (approx. $400), GPS ($200+), depth gauge/fish finder (approx. $250), VHF radio (don't remember the price for mine), USCG required safety gear (approx. $200), anchor/rode/line ($120), compass (don't recall the price), installation costs for the above equipment unless you can do it yourself, dinghy costs if you plan to moor it, etc., etc. There is more to this list in terms of safety and convenience but just to give you an idea.

In my opinion it's better to have a smaller boat well equipped than a larger boat with less safety or convenience equipment. The list above should be an absolute minimum if you plan to operate on the ocean. There are lots of equipment options available. I use a hand held Garmin GPS with marine database. For my next boat I plan to have a fixed mount (use my hand held as a backup). Ahhh....dreaming about the next boat.....

--Matt

Well, I think we are going to do a cuddy...I was thinking of the big cabin cruiser but first of all, we are not going to shower there...i'm not going to be cooking there..hell if i go out it's for fun not to be cooking. yes, i want a place maybe to sleep if I get tired and we can stay overnight..and the potti just in case. It does become very expensive with things that are needed. so, little by little it all adds up. We are going to keep it out of the water for sure. Now do you keep your's moored? or at a slip? if so where do you keep it?

Bayliners are nice looking boats. But if you're taking dogs and divers (not much difference) it's a bit "uptown" type of boat....soft cushions, like a nice living room. I'd be afraid of getting it dirty, looking at the pictures of them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom