Diving with a cracked rib

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peaceful

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone dove with a cracked rib? I know I should talk to the doctor about it but I thought I would see what others may have expericened first. I just did it a few weeks ago and it is killing me not to dive.

peaceful:
Has anyone dove with a cracked rib? I know I should talk to the doctor about it but I thought I would see what others may have expericened first. I just did it a few weeks ago and it is killing me not to dive.

I am most certainly a newbie, and by no means an expert, but if it were myself, I would wait until it was *completely* healed, I felt perfectly fit and ready, and was cleared by my physician. Maybe even put in a call to DAN.

--'Goose

Just out of curiosity " How did you do it ? "

Yeah, I don't think it would behoove you to try it.

If it kills now just wait till you put a BC around you, and if you have a jacket style - Wait until you inflate it -

You will have a whole new understanding of pain.

LIT

Lil' Irish Temper:
Just out of curiosity " How did you do it ? "

Yeah, I don't think it would behoove you to try it.

If it kills now just wait till you put a BC around you, and if you have a jacket style - Wait until you inflate it -

You will have a whole new understanding of pain.

LIT

Playing touch football with some other friends; I got touched a little too hard :)

I have 2 cracked ribs as we speak, and have dove with minimal problems. I did put a little longer band on my speargun, to help alleviate the pain, and cocking it is a little painfull, but nothing too bad...

I am not endorsing diving while injured, simply saying that I personally have done it...

:wink:

Scott

ScottZeagle:
I have 2 cracked ribs as we speak

I heard Uncle Pug pushed Scott down the stairs :wink:

peaceful:
Day one, dive one of a 10-day trip to Provo, I cracked a rib while exiting the water in chop. Symptoms: pain when lifting things, coughing, or rolling over in bed. There was a doctor on another boat who confirmed a cracked rib. I did what I tell my students not to do, I pushed myself because I’d paid so much and come so far. I loaded up on ibuprofen, got help shifting my gear and skipped about half the dives (the more aggressive ones). It was only pain, and I had some wonderful dives. I even think the pain was less when I was underwater. Now if my symptoms had included pain while breathing normally, I’d have definitely skipped all diving (well most of them anyway).

Bottom line though, each case is different. Check with a doctor and follow his advice.

good luck

My wife spent a week diving last year with 3 cracked ribs.
She slipped on the boat in rough weather and fell backwards onto a wooden structure with a row of spare cylinders.
She fell backwards and cracked the ribs at the front - gives an idea how hard she hit.
Anyway she spent the next 7 days equipping seated at the platform and unequipping in the water before climbing the ladder at the end of the dive.
About 12 months later she had to do a routine x-ray and the operator thought she had something in her pocket because the bone density around where the fractures had healed was so high. They were definitely broken and very well healed.

I cracked some ribs last year and this year - both times playing basketball. I took a week off diving, but after that I went back in the water. The only real problem was lugging the doubles around, but even that wasn't too bad. To echo some other comments, it all depends on how bad the break is. For most cases of non-displaced fractured ribs the treatment is basically to do nothing at all. If in any doubt in your own case, check with a doctor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom