Considering diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari0429

New
Reaction score
I am 32 years old and I am thinking about getting certified to dive. So far I have snorkled in the Bahamas, the Florida Keys and Cozumel. I am currently working on a book in which the main character will be diving, so I could use helpful hints about what the experience is really like. It is set in the Carribean.

Welcome to SB, and may I say, that's it, you've been bit by the scuba bug, there is no cure. Stick around SB, good place to learn about your equipment choices.
David

Aloha Ari0429!

Welcome to the board! I started diving at 35 and could kick myself for not having started sooner. Do it ! You be happy you did.

You might want to check out the Caribbean Forum for trip reports and such.

Aloha,
Lisa

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Actually, I have most of a novel fleshed out in my mind as well....

I would be surprised if you got the kind of answers you are looking for here. The subject is too big; there is too much to say. People will have a hard time making a single post that will characterize it.

What you really need to do is get ahold of an experienced diver and describe your idea. That will give a frame to the discussion, and the person can tell you what you need to know.

my husband and i had talked about scuba certs for over 10 yrs (before we got married), we just got certified and love it. can't believe we waited so long. If you are interested do it worst case you do it and hate it (which i doubt). Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Ari0429:
I am 32 years old and I am thinking about getting certified to dive.

do it, man!!! :wink:

you're in Florida, the perfect place to do it.

if you dive Key Largo, you will get a very good idea of what a Caribbean reef
is like (just think MORE fish and MORE coral)

i have a plot for a dive book:

1. couple go diving in Australia
2. couple get left behind by dive boat
3. couple die miserably

hmmm.... sounds so familiar, though

:33:

You can read all about Scuba here, but better yet - try it. And go to the island of your story to do it. :crafty:

Let me know if I can help you find your way around here.

:cowboy2: don

My wife and I talked about it for 22 years. At 52 I am now certified as is my wife and 16 & 20 year old kids. DON'T WAIT!!!

I used it as an incentive to lose weight. 100 pounds = dive trip to Roatan. (End of February) Now at 160 pounds I'm thinking Florida Keys. Problem is I'm a chicken when it comes to huricanes and August is the next big trip. Cold mountain lakes here I come...

Did I say DON'T WAIT??? Just DO IT!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom