cleaning procedure for nik v with sb105

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey all,

I own a Nik V with 35mm lens and an SB 105. After every dive, I soak the camera and shake it for the 60 seconds and wrap it in it's bag. When I get home, I take out all the O-rings and place them on a piece of paper. Regardless of my diving activities, I always rinse the O-rings with water and wash them with hand soap. and leave them to dry on anothe piece of paper. While the O-rings are drying, I clean off the O-ring grooves (not to roughly though) with some tissue paper that doesn't lint up or anything. I then grease up all the O-rings and place them in their places and at the end, I clean the front of my lens with a lens cleaner.

Is this a proper way of maintaining my camera? Am I overdoing it?

How do other SB'ers clean their gear?

Jalal

Heheh... Well Jala, as soon as someone says you might not have to do all the things you're doing, it'll flood... then then the person will feel guilty...
so keep doing what you're comfortable with.

Having said that, I haven't used my Nik V - SB105 lately, but my last procedure was to simply soak it for about an hour in fresh water, check the two o-rings - lens and back plate (or are there 2 in the back, can't remember) anyway, I take them out, run them though my finger tips to check for nicks and bumps and if they look a little shiney (greesed ok) and nothing else looks wrong, will check the grooves, Q-tip or old Tooth Brush and just make sure nothing is inside. I'll then just put them back in, close the back plate loosely, not sealed shut, and put a rubber band around it remind me to put in film and close it... Lens, I do the same and put it back on.

Things I look for:
- nicks in 0-rings
- junk/stuff in the grooves
- shiney, not greasy... means I only greese if it looks dry.
- abnormal depressions or memory dents... flattened ones.

And that's about all... make sure there's no dust in the body, and non on the inside of the lens surface... other than that, nothing else.

Strobes - unscrew both the back - battery AND (Important here) the synch cords both from the strobe and the camera... check the o-rings and grease as needed...

Be VERY Carefull you don't strip the alumn screw caps... it's easy to do and expensive to replace... I take a cloth and wipe the threads and put a lite grease coating on them.

Many will tell you to do this and more and if you feel comfortable, then by all means do it.. heheh.. don't want to be responsible for causing your camera to flood..
but this is what I do with mine...

Hope that helps..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom