Anyone been on the Crane recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing helpful I'm afraid... I haven't been on the crane in about a year.

I hit the Crane yesterday for a short deco dive (15 min of bottom time on air, about 16 minutes of deco time which included use of EAN67). There were a few levels of vis on the way down. The top 40' had lots of floating particles. Then it cleared up a bit, then by 110' it was pretty dark. Below that depth required a light. It's always "interesting" the first time you head down a line to the unknown. My buddy had to cancel the night before so I was solo as well. The wreck appeared below at about 125'. I touched steel at about 138'. The depth to the sand was exactly 150'. Vis was about 15'. Lot's of usual growth all along the crane structure. The structure was laying at an angle off the sand in a due East/West heading. You could swim through the crane structure as well as under it if you wanted. I explored the sand a bit, top of the structure, then down and back a bit. I spent a lot of time cycling my light above and to each side of my path of travel to look for entanglement hazzards. I came to a point in the wreck with several lines going over it and decided to reverse direction to avoid the area. Nothing terrible but my limited bottom time was approaching the end as well. At the 15 minute mark I began my ascent to my first stop. Had stops at 50, 40, 30, and 20.

The temp at depth was 43 degrees, at 20' it was only 44 degrees. Deco time goes slow when you are cold! Finally the timers clicked over at my last stop and I ascended to the surface. Great calm day yesterday. Great site for an entry level tech dive.

--Matt

Sounds like a cool dive.

I'd like to get out there later in the season, after I have more bottom time this year.

TT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom