Utila Agressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just on the Agressor website, and under the charter rates section they had a listing for a Utila Aggressor with rates to come. Does anyone know anything about this? Are they going to have to boats in the Bay Islands, or will they just be repositioning the Bay Island Aggressor at some point?

http://www.aggressor.com/rates.php

don't know, but they still list rates for the Bay Islands Aggressor through 12/2007 - whereas there's no rates listed for the Truk Aggressor now that it's moving to Sulawesi. So I'd guess another boat.

When we were at Laguna Beach Resort 5/2, Troy ,the owner ,was flying to Louisiana to talk with the Aggressor fleet about "renaming" or establishing a Utila Aggressor. Maybe this is it.

The Bay Islands Agg was laid up for repairs and did a 'first' cruise the week of 5/21

Why anyone would pay those rates to dive pretty much the exact same sites as CCV (and to some extent FIBR) is beyond me.

The Utilla possibilities, however, sound real interesting! I think that the opportunities to dive the many sites there and in between Roatan are a viable sell.

Transport gateway would go through Roatan, undoubtedly, so we'll have to see what their itin of diving might be. Hope it isn't another ho-hum rehash of the Roatan voyage which can be done for 1/3 the price at an AI.

I'd seriously consider it! Hope it flies.

RoatanMan:
Why anyone would pay those rates to dive pretty much the exact same sites as CCV (and to some extent FIBR) is beyond me.
no sand flies?

jbjclj:
When we were at Laguna Beach Resort 5/2, Troy ,the owner ,was flying to Louisiana to talk with the Aggressor fleet about "renaming" or establishing a Utila Aggressor. Maybe this is it.

We were at LBR last week and yes, I believe Troy will own (or co-own) a new Utila Aggressor. The Bay Islands Aggressor was moored near the Utila harbor one day last week. One of the guests at LBR had tried to book this Agg but was informed it wasn't available. Romina (LBR manager) told me that it may continue to operate as a live aboard in the area but will not be part of the Aggressor fleet since it did meet their current standards.

Steve P:
Romina (LBR manager) told me that it may continue to operate as a live aboard in the area but will not be part of the Aggressor fleet since it did meet their current standards.

Does not meet current standards.

Personally, I was very happy with the ease of diving Utila & Roatan during our first trip there and would book shore based option for our next trip.

We were on the 5/21 Aggressor trip and dove Roatan, Utila and Cayo Cochinos. I have since been in contact with Aggressor personally due to the status of the ships abilities (only one engine ran the entire week, toilets not working properly, etc.). The answers that I get back from them will determine if we ever book another Aggressor trip. I can promise you one thing - it will not be on that boat for sure! The dolphin dive and shark dives were the highlight of the week. I actually got attacked by a dolphin, grabbed my thigh and twisted me around and around. They did warn us that it could happen (they were just playing . . ) I had dolphin teeth marks on my leg the rest of the week. We did hear rumors about a new boat basing out of La Ceiba and traveling to Utila and Cayo Cochinos and possibly other areas but it was all hush hush for now. The crew did the best that they could do on the trip but the boat is a piece of junk. We did stay over one night on the mainland and did the Canopy Tour, wasn't scared of the heights but the gloves left a little to be desired, I have 3 blisters. And you don't always slide all the way to the end, if you stop, you get to hand over hand to the next landing. There were 11 landings . . . very tiring. The bugs ate me alive and I will never spend another night at Half Moon Bay at West End. Enough said.

We were on the same trip with scubajeanie. We too have written a letter to the Aggressor and are awaiting a reply. The boat is exactly as described, "a piece of junk". Our complaints were: deisel fumes, couldn't breathe the first night and we still haven't gotten the smell out of our clothes; excessive engine noise, you had to yell at your buddy to be heard in your cabin when the engine was running; only one engine, obviously we never made the advertised 10.5 knots; lack of housekeeping, sand oil and grit in the carpets and on the dive deck, broken and filthy windows (you couldn't even see out of them); toilets that didn't work, sewage smell pervasive in the passenger hallway and cabins (there was a gray water discharge on the floor of the galley our last day onboard); showers that either had no hot, no cold, or no water at all; and SCUBA tanks that had not been serviced as evidenced by chronic air leaks at the tank valve handle, tank connection and o-rings. Despite all this crew and captain made a valiant effort to do the best they could with what they had. We and they deserved better! Let's hope Aggressor dumps this boat and picks up the newer one out of Utila. We believe this to be true as we heard this rumor from people on our boat who had talked directly with Troy that week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom