First Aid Box

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
I have a standard first aid kit that I am slowly expanding. What suggestions do you all have for a first aid box, when one's current box is too small for the kit? I was considering looking into a tackle box or go to a container store.

Pelican case or Otter box so that it's waterproof and durable. www.cases4less.com

Wound management (gauze, bandaids, iodine, alcohol wipes, tape, etc), surgical hardware (shears, snips, needle and thread, sam splint, instant cold pack, heat pack, tweezers, etc), medication (benadryl, ibuprofen, bonine, sudafed, antacid), survival gear depending on location (mirror, whistle, foil blanket, flashlight, rope, etc)

How much first aid training do you have? :)

I'll second a Pelican case or Otter Box. Especially for wet conditions such as diving or boating.

Johnythan had some good suggestions.

For activities such as diving and other, I'd add these items:
----------------------------------------------------------
Duct tape
athletic tape
liquid band-aid (to toughen sore skin areas such as heels)
small bottle of Vinegar (for jellyfish stings)
ziplock bags - various sizes (for ice packs)
sunburn lotion
saline bottom, for eye rinse.
Pen and paper (in ziplock bag). To write down important medical info on injured diver to give to paramedics to take to hospital/doctor (like dive time, depth, etc).

Duh, I forgot pencil and paper. Go to your local outdoor retailer and pick up some Rite in the Rain sheets, and use a pencil. Will write even in rainy and wet conditions (or underwater for that matter), as opposed to pen and regular paper.

I used to work on a white water river as a guide back in my college days. Sometimes Otter Boxes and Pelican Cases were a little too expensive. I made my own dry box from a coleman drink jug. I would plug and seal the pour spouts with wax and they make great roomy carriers for all of your supplies.

I had one for first aid, one for equipment and one for miscellaneous tourist crap that they would bring along.

Very waterproof and very inexpensive. I can usually find the drink carriers with the screw on lids for under $10 and wax from a candle to plug it up.

They have nice handles on them for biner'ing things on to rafts and stuff to keep them secure.

Mrs.Prages:
I used to work on a white water river as a guide back in my college days. Sometimes Otter Boxes and Pelican Cases were a little too expensive. I made my own dry box from a coleman drink jug. I would plug and seal the pour spouts with wax and they make great roomy carriers for all of your supplies.

I had one for first aid, one for equipment and one for miscellaneous tourist crap that they would bring along.

Very waterproof and very inexpensive. I can usually find the drink carriers with the screw on lids for under $10 and wax from a candle to plug it up.

What a great idea for a lost cost alternative. I'd never thought about the Coleman/thermos brand bottles for this. You can pick these up for a $ buck
at garage sells or thrift stores also.

Only other suggestion I'd have on this is that wax chips away easily and gets
hot and melts in the heat of a car. Solution is to use Epoxy to seal the
pour spout. It'd be permanent then.

I don't understand the coleman jug. How do you open and close it as a container? Do you cut it in half? What am I missing?

2 Bar:
I don't understand the coleman jug. How do you open and close it as a container? Do you cut it in half? What am I missing?

He's talking about the round gallon sized large mouth Coleman screw top thermos jug.

The whole lid screws on/off. On the lid is typically a "flip top" opening spout to pour your drink into your cup. It was pretty good about not leaking, unless the spout lid popped open. (which he solved by waxing it shut. I think though a better permanent solution for closig it might be epoxy though. Or something similar)

using a Coleman jug similar to this one in the image

936.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom