Pinthis - at Matt's request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vetdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So...here ya go, Matt.

My husband and I dove the Pinthis on Monday (out of Scituate). Reefseal (who posts here on occasion) was there - and a pretty nice guy, despite the kneepads (kidding, there, L!!).

All last week, we were convinced that this charter would get cancelled, but Monday was AWESOME. The sea was like glass, and there was no current to speak of.

So - not in formal logbook style, as all that stuff is still on my computer...we did 2 dives. max depth was about 95 feet or so for both - they were nondeco dives on air, so both dives were too short. It was cold, damn cold - about 42 degrees - once we got below 60 ft. Vis was decent, maybe 25 ft. We were moored to the line on the bow of the wreck. First dive, we headed down the line (noting that there is an amazing change in light penetration at about 60 ft - the vis is still there below that depth, but it was truly freakish to see such an abrupt change!!). Coming down the line, in this really freakish dark water, I was thinking, "how the heck are we going to see anything???"...and then this wreck came into view - and the bow is really amazing, this skeletal-looking thing. The wreck is upside-down, and our first dive, we just circled the whole thing close to the bottom, taking in the unreal sea life. Anemones and sea peaches everywhere, huge flounder, fish city. After a SI of a little over an hour, we did our second dive, concentrating on the actual surface of the wreck and one of the big open penetration areas where the ship structure is collapsed (not the engine room, as advised, but next time...). Then I looked at my computer and realized we were about 2 minutes from deco, so we sadly hauled back to the line.

After the second dive, reefseal put it perfectly..."Two dives is not enough."

This wreck was awesome. If you guys get the chance, jump at it!!

cool
i haven't dove it yet, but plan on it next month..
hopefully the water will warm up a bit by then
uis there a marker on it yet, or did youi guys have to hook it?

There is, indeed, a mooring on the bow end. Have a great time - this is just an awesome wreck.

vetdiver:
Have a great time - this is just an awesome wreck.

Agreed - it's an awesome dive. I still say Poling is my favorite wreck north of Cape Ann (even if it's been dived to death), but Pinthis is a solid 2nd. They're both also shallow enough that you can spend plenty of time exploring inside and out w/out going into deco...

Vetdiver, if you haven't dived the Poling yet, you're missing out. It's a beautiful wreck...

-Roman.

Hey, I like the Poling! I just dove it a bunch of times last year and wanted to try something new. I am sure we'll be on the Poling again soon - I have a lot of exploring left to do.

vetdiver:
Hey, I like the Poling! I just dove it a bunch of times last year and wanted to try something new. I am sure we'll be on the Poling again soon - I have a lot of exploring left to do.

Hehehe... I know the feeling. Not many decent wrecks up around here that are shallow enough for rec diving and are at least somewhat interesting at the same time. Poling, Pug, Pinthis... Hmm... I just realized that they all begin with 'P'. Interesting... :06:

I hear the Romance is pretty cool, even if it's a debris field. I may be diving her on Sat, we'll see.

-Roman.

What a great day. Sunny, warm. The boat drive to and from was just as great as dive. Vetdiver forgot to mention the whale sighting but didn't forget to mention my home depot kneepads! (Don't laugh.. Nice to have over dry suit to save wear and tear on drysuit!)

Yes. She's a yar vessell. Did pop in a couple times as very open. I'm told able to swim through end to end from within easily.. Would probably try to next time dive it. For first couple dives, wanted to get bearings, familiar with it. .

That's 'cause I was still half asleep when we saw the whale. I woke up when I noticed I was in 42-degree water...

Check out the Harbor Dives thread below - you should join us! You, your kneepads...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom