AOW Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taylode

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to take PADI's AOW course later this month in Monterey, CA. Three of the dives are already determined: Navigation, Deep, and Night. Of the plethora of other specialties being offered I'd like to solicit the opinions from those more experienced than me with the goal to become a better diver. Of the two remaining I thought I’d take Boat since I've never been on a boat and positive buoyancy; however, multilevel/computer also seems worth while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

You should have a good time with the ones you selected. Boat diving in my opinion is a waste. Yes, I teach it. Think about it...how tough can it be. Usually a giant stride or backroll entry, nothing special. PPB should help you with your bouyancy control. Multi level/ computer would be good too.

Joe

I'm glad you said that, I didn't think there would be much to boat diving but the LDS thought that I should take it. PPB and Multilevel/Computer sounded like clear winners to me.

Thanks,
Dennis

There's not much to boat diving that you won't pick up by watching and listening to the briefing when you're eventually on a boat, there's very little in the way of skills. (Just don't watch the person with their gear strewn all over like a yard sale.) Some things are going to be different on different boats and you will just learn as you go. If there's a book for the boat specialty you might just try and read it for tips, but take a meatier specialty.

I have to agree with Scubajoe, bouyancy is a skill that needs the most attention.
I have done all my dives from a boat, the giant stride, back roll, no training needed there (for most). But to acheive good bouyancy is important and requires coaching and practice.

When I teach a PADI AOW class, I always try to incorporate Photography and Search and Recovery into the program I am fully aware that most divers will never do any salvage work, but playing with lift bags is cool and it reinforces the navigation dives. I do a photography dive because cameras are a great way to remember and share your underwater experience. Cameras are also expensive and easily damaged so it is important to know how to handle one if you are going to ever use one.

IMHO - Peak performance buoyance (already listed)
and the Search & Recovery because in your diving career, you're going to either be asked "if you find my expensive (insert dive gear here) will you give it back to me?" or the "frick - I lost my (insert your dive gear here) and I really need that back..." Like already mentioned - it's fun deploying lift bags and you'll get introduced to multi tasking.
But my absolute fav - DPV.

See, now I'd go the other way...I'd skip PPB. Those skills should be incorporated into EVERY dive you do on the Advanced Course anyway...they are skills you use on every dive. IMHO I'd do a different specialty on the AOW and work on my buoyancy on every dive. To me PPB is about as useful as Boat and I'd rather teach (and learn) it in "real" dives. YMMV

Not yet mentioned but one that I enjoyed a lot - Underwater Naturalist. It was very useful to get tips on how to really look at what you are seeing. A lot of people simply miss most of what is actually there!

Wow, lots of suggestions! One common thread thourgh -- deepsix boat. Any comments on multilevel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom