JUN 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stryker

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Date:
Dive Location:
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Gas mix: Air (21%)
Comments:

Date: 06/01/2005
Max Depth: 37
Bottom Time: 70 min.
Visibility: 8-12 ft.
Wave height: 1 – 3 ft.
Surface temp: 66°
Temp @ depth: 64°

Comments:

After waiting for the sun to go down, entered the surf and swam out and dropped down in fairly shallow water... After reaching the reef I was treated immediately to a octopus out in the open preparing to hunt.... I followed it for a few minutes and he finally took off... Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of something BIG moving towards me and looked over to see a BIG bat ray.... he would turn away when I shined my light on him, but once I moved the light he would come back to check me out... Then throughout the rest of the dive I spotted 5 more octopuses, 2 of which were VERY large... I also came across 6 thornback rays (2 of which were just babies).... Also I saw a few baby scorpion fish that couldnt have been more than 2 inches long.... After these I came across what I BELIEVE to be an electric ray.. I didnt get very close to it because I know someone who was attacked by one, but it was round and spotted and did not look like the thornback rays.... it had a purple-ish tint to it... The bugs were out in swarms and came across one VERY large one... Visibility started to drop so it was time to end the dive.... Definitely one I will remember for a looooooong time....

Seth,

It sounds like you had a really great night dive at Shaw's!

We're going to have to get you up to one of those thick kelp beds in L.A. County. I think you'd love it!

Christian

it was AWESOME.... and yes just tell me when, and I am there!

Date: June 02, 2005
Dive Location: Laguna Beach Deadmans Reef
Time: 11:26 a.m.
Bottom Time: 61:50
Max Depth: 35
Vis: 10-12
Wave height: 1 ft
Temp at depth: 66 Suunto Degrees
Surface Temp: 66 Suunto Degrees
Tide information: 7:15 a.m. High Tide 3.69 feet
Comments:
Met Jim Cooper from Minnesota along with his lovely wife and two children. Jim normally dives lakes and mine shafts of Minnesota wore only the bottom of a Farmer John and a hood. But he was comfortable, and fortunately the water was warmer than it has been.. Lots of overcast and some drizzle. Entered 1 foot water and surface swim out to Deadmans reef. Dropped down on top of the reef and proceeded to explore the reef. Found a 3 foot horn shark and some octopi along with the usual seniorita fish, blacksmith, sargo and others. We had a pleasant dive. I wish the visibility had been better, a bit green with a slight red tide, but not too bad.

Date: June 4th
Dive Location: Christmas Tree Cove
Time: 12:30
Bottom Time: 48 minutes
Max Depth: 31 feet
Vis: 5-8'
Wave height: 2-3
Temp at depth: My computer was wonky! It read -9F. It wasn't quite that cold!
Comments: I had only made one beach dive here since 1990, and that was in '96. This is one of my favorite places to dive, but I've been diving it from boats for 15 years now. This morning I woke up with brain damage, or maybe it was just a fluke that I decided to try Christmas Tree Cove again. The trail is one of the hardest in Palos Verdes to navigate in scuba gear. I used to snorkel here a lot before I was certified, and it's hard enough just carrying mask and fins. I was looking at Aaron Simmons' site, http://www.legopacific.com/ and decided to try his method of ambient light digital photography. I'm happy with my initial results. With better vis and less surge, I might even get good at it. Well, at least better.
I stopped by Marineland first. The waves were moderate, but close together. I wanted to avoid surge so I could try to shoot closeups. Christmas Tree has smaller surf, so I gave it a shot. There are patches of red tide close to shore, leaving a foamy trail on the surface. I swam to the outer edge of the cove and hung out with the fishes, including a 30" Calico bass that followed me around for ten minutes. Since it is the photo theme this week, I shot some Kellet's Whelks laying eggs.
I made an easy exit onto the slippery rocks and paused several times ascending the cliff. Although it is a workout and the conditions were marginal, I think I'll try this site more often. Or maybe I'll just check myself into an institution. :D
Today's ambient light pictures can be seen here;
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1033

Date: June 04, 2005
Dive Location: Crystal Cove
Time: 8:29 a.m.
Bottom Time: 66:20
Max Depth: 46
Vis: 5-15’
Wave height: 1-2 ft
Temp at depth: 63 Suunto Degrees
Surface Temp: 64 Suunto Degrees

Comments:
First dive at Crystal Cove. Met up with J. Bird (snobordjon), Kara (Eyasha), Thomas (scubainspired), J. McCabe, and Steve (stoddu).
The viz was around 5-15'. The surge was not too bad, maybe 1-2’ in some spots.
It wasn’t low tide, so we tried an entry closer to the rock 'island'. John said there were some rocks, but didn't mention the boulders that got in the way. After most of us ran into some rocks we finally made it to deeper waters and swam to a little beyond the rock 'island'. On the way out, I spotted a dorsal fin that turned out to be a dolphin about 15-20 yards from us. Saw it a few more times then it was gone, heading north. We dropped down onto some rock structure and made sure everyone was OK in about 17-20'. J. Bird led the dive with the rest of us behind. John was going at a nice clip, then finally realized that we wanted to actually investigate the structure and not race to see who runs out of air first :). Once we started exploring you could see a ton of sheephead, sand bass, garibaldi, 1 large crab (sheep crab?) and a few bugs. The rock structure is very nice with many areas to explore. Kara spotted a small jelly which is the first I have seen in SoCal (very cool). Thomas and Steve decided to head back so the rest of us continued to explore. Kara also spotted a nice Spanish Shawl. You could feel the water get cooler around 35’ or so. John and Kara spotted a ray. John signaled that he was low on air, so we made our safety stop and surfaced a little further away from the shore than I wanted, but it made for a relaxing swim to shore.

Nice post Phil - you made me laugh when I read the report :) One thing you forgot to mention was that this is a great place to dive also, because after the short swim back to the beach, there is such a small, no incline walk back to the cars :) haha - me trying to hurry up that hill didn't work so well!! But it was definately worth it - I had a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom