TDI - Extended Range Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deep air.

aside from the incredible narcosis effect (and that can be mitigated to lesser/greater degrees with the use of helium)
you are pretty much at the *safe* limit for an air dive when
you are at 180 fws (based on PO2)

Only just did the TDI AdvEAN/Deco....

But I can put you in touch with two really good instructors (one is the regional TDI rep as well) if you have questions about the course.

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
deep air.

aside from the incredible narcosis effect (and that can be mitigated to lesser/greater degrees with the use of helium)
you are pretty much at the *safe* limit for an air dive when
you are at 180 fws (based on PO2)

Nothing says you Have to go to 180.. The class in not necessarily about going to deeper depths but is a useful continuation of deco training.. You learn more contigency planning and diving physiology. A person can do all the dives in the 130+ range and still meet standards.

In SOME areas where HE is not available and wounldn't be the next class to take using this class to deeper depths is an option(I'd still like to keep it to depths were narcosis is manageable).
Some training and experience is better than having the person just decide to do it on his own. Many of those against deep air don't realize how easy we have it getting He compared to many dive destinations around the world. If people who advocate deep air is the devil, always use helium... why not use neon.. its in the same class for us in the states as He is for many around the world.. Its very difficult to get and Very expensive.. but potentially a better gas for short deep dives.
Going deeper on air has to be an individual risk assessment. I don't profess it to being safe, under normal situations I limit myself to 150ish on AIr.. I'll do He deeper than this, but there are times I will go deepr and assume the risk involved. The conditins must be optimal and the proper support available. I recently dove TRUK and anyone who has been there knows what its like to try and get He there.. I understood the risks involved and did the dives I wanted to do... I had to worry more about narcosis than otox since I was on a ccr and beyond 170 my PN2 is greather than that of an OC diver..
If I chose to limit to 150, the enjoyable dives on the SanFranciso Maru, Shotan Maru, and Aioku(sp) Maru would have been out of the question, with the Shotan being the shallowest at just under 180. Granted I would never do these depths in cold, limited viz water, but in 84 degree water with better than 100feet viz, its not that difficult of a dive..

Many good points here with Green_Manelishi’s true statements you are pretty much at the *safe* limit for an air dive when you are at 180 fws (based on PO2) 180 feet being the max depth of the Extended range certification, and 218 being MOD of air.

Caverkevin has a very valid point that I totally agree with. Trimix is much safer at 180’ than air, and Entry Trimix certifies you to 200’.

Padiscubapro brings out a point that is very interesting, which makes you have to ask yourself what kind of diving do you plan to do. If you plan on diving deep wrecks in the Great Lakes you will want to use Trimix. However if your planning on diving some exotic place in the far reaches of the Pacific He may be unavailable and you will be unable to dive anything but air with Nitrox to deco on. It could be possible that you would even have to deco on air!

Perhaps the best way would be to take both courses. This way you if you want to go to 175’ on air you will have your choice of instructor with you for a confidence boast on your first narced dive. Then if you want to dive Bikini Atoll you will know if you will remember it or not. If you want to do a dive to 175’ and remember it you can do it on Trimix if it is available.

I am sure you would enjoy both courses and learn a few new things with each.

Dive till it hurt hang till it quits!

Tom

Hi Dougz

After finishing the Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures course, I wanted to jump to Basic Trimix - I was advised to do the ER first. The given argument which I totally subscribe now was that with AN/DP you dive with a single tank + 3lt deco tank and for Trimix will need to carry 4 tanks - so it's a big jump in terms of configuration.

In the ER course you'll get familiar diving doubles (we dive independent doubles in here), switching regs and carry a bigger deco tank - 7 lt. And perform all tasks with this particular configuration.

I've found it very useful and now I don't regret having done it. I feel now much more confident to step to Trimix.

Sue

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback - will reassess the options!!!!

Dougz:boom:

Skip it and get trimix. You can't be taught to deal with narcosis. You don't need deep air training to use trimix. Be wary of any instructor who tells you can learn, adapt, or deal with narcosis reliably and who is willing to take you to such depths just to prove a needless point. Try to go the GUE route, if you can, to save yourself money and time.

Good luck,

Mike

Places where He is not available??

You're really going to risk your life for a dive just because He isn't available??

Why not wait until it IS available or address your concerns with the dive operators on the island? I'm sure if people quit coming they would GET He in a hurry! Besides you're not going to remember much of that dive past 150ft to that ___ maru anyway are you?? What's the point to spend several thousands of dollars to get there then not remember the dives??:confused:

Heck, it sounds like an opportunity at Truk to me!

DSAO!!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom