Where has the viz been best lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Get out your crystal balls folks. I want to know what the future holds

I was planning a dive Friday afternoon in the Redondo Beach/PV area (only because I llive there). But last light the viz at Vet's Park was the worst I've ever seen. Had to put the gages inches from my face to be able to read them. At one point I could touch the sandy bottom with my hand but could not see the bottom. I had trouble seeing my boddy and we were bumpping shoulder to shoulder. At 60+ feet the viz was a respectable 20 feet but above the canyon it was one foot or less. with mild surge and thick red tide

I'm looking to take a novice diver someplace Friday, me and the normal buddies are OK with zero vis night dives but that's not for novices. Which has been best lately Malibu or Orange country?
Redondo is only good for those who can go below 70 feet.

ChrisA:
Which has been best lately Malibu or Orange country?
Over the weekend, I thought my dives at Marineland, Leo Carrillo and Deer Creek Rd. were much better than my dives at Treasure Island/Montage, Cleo Street, Crystal Cove, Deadman's Reef and the Pinnacles (between Deadman's and Seal Rock).

So, based on that I'd say my crystal ball is pointing to Malibu. Of course, that was last weekend and may not apply to this coming weekend.

Christian

Just for grins I called the Zuma dudes just now, and they said diving conditions up there are STILL only 5ft. vizibility. They've been saying that same thing for at least the last week.

mccabejc:
Just for grins I called the Zuma dudes just now, and they said diving conditions up there are STILL only 5ft. vizibility. They've been saying that same thing for at least the last week.
I guess they are surfers and not divers. We'll send Scott over to straighten them out. :wink:

Christian

The red tide is spotty, and Malibu is a long coastline. Unless someone has dove a site within 24 hours of you, there are no guarantees, unless you get deeper than 30ft. I would try to stay near high tide, and try leo, staircase, or deer creek if I went to Malibu. The lifeguard report is sometimes right and sometimes wrong.

Scott

Catalina has been looking fairly good (30-40 ft). I haven't been wet in nearly three weeks due to the dermatologist's work, but I plan on going in this weekend. I got so desperate the past two weeks that I took two rides on the semisubmersible glassbottom boats just to look underwater (I get on free since I wrote the scripts for the Island Company and provide the U/W video for the boats).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom