Lights for cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roguediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What type of primary light is best for cave diving. What type is everyone using. Thanks for your help.

tho the Extreme Exposure lights are awfully sweet. And AUL can convert my halogen to 10w HID for less than 300.

That is, if I ever stop using it long enough to send it in.

You should be able to get an EE or AUL for a good price, then up grade to HID when ready. The batteries for them are readily available.

Stick with lead acid gel-cells. As they get low on juice the light will fade, giving you some warning. Nicads will just go out.

Keep it simple, take care of your light, and it'll take care of you. I plug the battery into the charger once a week for a "top-off". Keep a spare bulb in your cannister so if it fails during a light test you won't have to walk so far to replace it.

take care and dive safe
Brock

Originally posted by Okiecaver

Stick with lead acid gel-cells. As they get low on juice the light will fade, giving you some warning. Nicads will just go out.

Keep it simple, take care of your light, and it'll take care of you. I plug the battery into the charger once a week for a "top-off". Keep a spare bulb in your cannister so if it fails during a light test you won't have to walk so far to replace it.

take care and dive safe
Brock

Hey Brock, your statement about gel-cells fading is true for Halogen lights but not HID. HID maintains a constant brightness regardless of the battery until there's not enough voltage to support it then blink, blink, blink it's gone. I don't know any mfg's using Nicads but there are several now offering NiMh battery packs. These are SWEET but expensive.

I have an Extreme Exposure Pro 6 10W HID and I absolutely love it! 5hrs burtime and I can do 2 loooong dives with one battery pack!

There have recently been several used Pro 14 18W HID's on sale in various places I've seen. No doubt people opting for the tiny cannisters of the new NiMh batterys. May be a good time to pick one up if you don't mind the larger cannister.

For Rogue Diver... If price is no object go with Extreme Exposure's NiMh 10 or 18W HID. (http://www.extreme-exposure.com) If price is a factor I'd recommend going with a SLA Pro 6 10W HID or looking around for a used Pro 14 18W HID.

DSAO!!!

DSAO!!

I love my pro 14 18 watt light. It has a big heavy canister but in the water I don't even know it's there.

In addition to the lights mentioned, the Sartek 10W HID is a great light. I use a couple of those and have nothing but good things to say. The can is small enough to where I mount it to my BP and it's completely out of the way. Wet connectors are pretty cool too, as you can use 2 cans and 2 heads and interchange should the need arise.
10W HID is getting to be the most common, I think. They are great little lights which can double for video lights.

Thanks guys for all the information, I still have a while before I have to by one just checking around to see what the best is. Thanks again.

You can always rent a light to try the different ones, sizes,etc until you find the one you want.

Thanks Wendy that sounds good. Its going to be a while so I dont so Ill see. Thanks again. :)

Depends on how much money you want to spend.

The standard cave light for years has been a 14 amp hour 12V canister with a 50 watt halogen lighthead. Still puts out the most money for the dollar expecailly because all the hot shots are trying to sell theres used to buy hid so there are a lot of bargains around if you don't mind used. Also dirt cheap to maintain since a bulb costs you $5 instead of $200.

Hid is run but I think its being oversold.

Originally posted by roguediver
What type of primary light is best for cave diving. What type is everyone using. Thanks for your help.

price is not realy a big deal. I just wont a good light thats going to last a while. I dont wont to have to get a new light every few years or so.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom