Diving for money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bedford

Reaction score
Most of the divers I know do odd jobs over the course of the season. I often dive to fix propellers, clean boat bottoms, find lost stuff, install mooring chains etc. I've also installed fresh water intakes in lakes and, more than once, gone under stranded boats to cut anchor lines off props. I usually charge a minimum of $100 cash to get suited up. On average, I probably take in around $2,000 over the summer. Basically this covers air, wear and tear on my gear and beer.

Who else does odd jobs?

Not me. I haven't yet had the urge to turn something fun into work.

Every time the thought crosses my mind, the water's too cold and iced over anyway.

Wijbrandus:
Not me. I haven't yet had the urge to turn something fun into work.

Every time the thought crosses my mind, the water's too cold and iced over anyway.

I wouldn't say it's work. I need to log more dives to do my Dive Master and this covers the cost.

Bedford:
Most of the divers I know do odd jobs over the course of the season. I often dive to fix propellers, clean boat bottoms, find lost stuff, install mooring chains etc.

Hmmm.. a buddy of mine asked me to help him find a lost mast from his sailboat when it capsized.. maybe I should charge him! :wink:

Diving in marinas has it's hazzards.

Electrocution being the worst of them. Most marina owners don't do maintenance very well and electrical outlets short out. If contacted with water, then "ouch". More common though is a shore-power cord dropped in the water.

A diver died last year in a marina near where I live because of this. He was electrocuted underwater.

Also lots of fun in marina is all the "raw sewage" from boats that still dump overboard. It'll leave a smell you can't get out of your gear, not to mention
getting into your mouth, ears, etc.

just something to think about.

mike_s:
Diving in marinas has it's hazzards.

Also lots of fun in marina is all the "raw sewage" from boats that still dump overboard. It'll leave a smell you can't get out of your gear, not to mention

I'll bet the poo wasn't this bad :D

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/s...php/photo/22008

I was on overtime for this one.

Gary D.

When I had a shop I used to do a few things for a pond management company in town and I charged for that. I've been approached about some nasty jobs but just passed on them...or they passed once they found out what I'd charge. Other than that it's been all for free. I've retrieved lots of "lost" items for people.

mike_s:

Good point... I used to pull trolleys out of the river tawe in swansea for a supermarket,
wouldn't dive in it again as the water is heavily polluted with heavy metals such as lead, arsenic and cadnium from the old metal works that used to be upriver.

I had a cash in hand deal with the manager until we hit a couple of snags... firstly their health and safety department didnt like it as I had no UK hse diving quals or insurance and secondly my buddy and I got caught on cctv including trolleys from the car park to make up the numbers we pulled out!

Gary....if that was a pic of the Warhammer maneuver.....aint gonna play. It gets blocked all the time now.

Man I wish I had a copy of the thing....it is a classic.

In ten years of commercial diving I did alot of it; in my years of scuba I've done many jobs similar to yours Bedford, but the craziest task asked of me I related in the "scuba humour" section - I'll re-post it here for a few giggles...

I found a "Close Encounter"...

Over the years I've been fortuneate to find all manner of nifty "stuff" - both recreationally & commercially, but nothing matched an experience in 1978 for sheer snorfs n' giggles...

In the summer of 78' I was 18 & always on the lookout for some deepsea adventure. One Wednesday evening I was thumbing through the local paper & found an article that asked the provacative question: UFO in local "bottomless" pond? The author quoted a local resident who insisted he & many others had witnessed a strange, pulsating glow emanating from a local spring-fed pond, which was reputed to be "bottomless." He & his troops had been swimming in the pond the night before & had witnessed the unearthly throbbing specter begin it's eerie pulsations just as the last light of the day slipped away...

Now it just so happened that I knew of this chap - he was a resident of an 18th century farm house, owned by an eclectic old lady who operated the home as the "House of Creativity" - a house of refuge for most anyone in pursuit of spiritual & creative matters. Our intrepid UFO-sighter was the resident poet, muser of mysticism & was known to wax on at length about the weightier matters of life, death & the nature of the cosmos...

No less coincidentally, the creative old lady was also my girlfriend's Grandmother.

The next evening the paper ran an even larger article on the mysterious goings-on at the bottomless pond - this time with pictures! Our fearless poet - come UFO speculator was front & center, rambling on about the real possibility of alien activities in the area. I tossed the paper aside & commenced to packing my dive gear - my Sister's boyfriend & I were taking his Jeep North for the weekend to do some deep river diving, in pursuit of artifacts from the voyageur days in Central Ontario...

Next day, late afternoon, & we're just about ready to head North when the phone rings. Who could it be but sweet Gramma"DoDo" ( no kidding - thats what they called her! ), owner/operator of the "House of Creativity." She wanted to know if I could dive the pond that evening & identify the source of the ghostly spectral pulsations that had initiated, without fail, the two previous evenings. I explained the situation to my buddy Andy & he reluctantly agreed to join in the hunt. We grabbed our ectoplasmic discombobulators, donned our "Ghostbusters" dive apparel, & raced to the scene...

We arrived to find Gramma DoDo, the resident poet-laureate / UFO maven, & a host of other chanting, balding hippie-types milling about, mumbling incantations & beseeching the "pond entity" to glow-forth. A reporter / photographer from the local paper was also on hand to record the historic encounter. Andy & I geared up & entered the pea-green soupy waters to begin our search. The best direction we could ascertain from the poet was that "it" was "out there" somewhere - indicated by a broad, majestic sweep of the arm. We decended at twilight, hoping the apparition would begin it's nightly light show, so that we might zero in on it's beacon. Within minutes we had located "bottom" in this "bottomless" pond as being 33', & the consistency of diaretic loon-poo. Visibility was near zero, & after a few sweeps, we surfaced to ask for more specific direction...

Gramma DoDo, in a flowing komono that did little to hide her ample girth, ascended a small promontory of rock near the edge of the pond, raised her arm slowly, and, like some ancient Tibetan mystic, paused for effect, then slowly lowered her arm, pointed, & in a voice from deep in the grave intoned: " It is there..."

We quickly decended, & out of the gloom it appeared...we froze in abject....hilarity! There before us was the mystery, the inter-galactic visitor - an amber yellow construction warning sign! One of those nifty pedastal warning lights with a photo-sensitive light cell, designed to activate the warning beacon at the approach of dusk...

I grabbed the sign, surfaced, & held the alien intruder aloft for all to see. There was a collective gasp form the anxious on-lookers, then a clot of nervous laughter began as folks realized how silly they'd been to believe we'd been invaded. I looked over to the poet, who was frantically, pleadingly, waving his arms in a downward motion. Ignoring his gyrations, Andy & I triumphantly emerged from the murk, bearing our prize...

As Andy & I posed with our captive alien for a few pictures, the poet was seen to be racing Westward on his borrowed bicycle, never to be quoted again. Gramma DoDo
wanted to keep "E.T." as a reminder to all that "life is not always as it appears" or some other such weighty life-lesson...

As for Andy & me - well, our work was done there, it was time to pack up & head for the next adventure, somewhere, just over that horizon...

D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom