Diving and Hiking at altitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I'm going to be in Maui in mid July. I will be diving a couple of days and also hiking at Haleakala, which is over 10,000 feet. Of note, I do get altitude sick around 7000 feet, but I have meds for that.

My question is this....I remember somewhere in my training, about a waiting period for flying (24 hours?) and I assume this applies to high altitude hiking/climbing. Any opinions as to whether I should go to Haleakala first, then dive, or visa versa?

Thanks, Beck

divebomb:
Hello,

I'm going to be in Maui in mid July. I will be diving a couple of days and also hiking at Haleakala, which is over 10,000 feet. Of note, I do get altitude sick around 7000 feet, but I have meds for that.

My question is this....I remember somewhere in my training, about a waiting period for flying (24 hours?) and I assume this applies to high altitude hiking/climbing. Any opinions as to whether I should go to Haleakala first, then dive, or visa versa?

Thanks, Beck
Hike, then dive. You really do not need to be bent seven thousand feet up a mountain.

When dealing with altitude activities and diving, just remember to do things in order from top (above water) to bottom (below water).

I don't know if this would help you, but the new Uwatec computers have an altitude warning. I had to explain it to a lot of students using them as new rental gear - they thought the little "mountain" symbol meant that the computer was at altitude dive setting - but this is not the case. On the display there is a little mountain symbol like an upside-down "W" but one peak higher than the other. When the higher peak flashes, no going above something like 12,000 ft - the lower peak flashing means something like no going above 6,0000 ft, but I am not certain of the exact numbers.

If you could rent one like this, it would remove all of the guesswork or table calculations.

Back
Top Bottom