Recertification?

Should divers be required to renew their certifications periodically?

• Yes

Votes: 30 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 67.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Yes, every 2 years (like CPR/AED cards), inexpensive recert checks that has a short written test on core information and a brief skills test. If it has been 2 or more years since the last dive, it should be a refresher class with a pool skills class and check out.

The advanced certifications (cavern, cave, deco, DM, Instructor, etc.) should be yearly as they contain life preserving skills that if not used regularly can easily go by the mental wayside making that diver a liability to everyone on their dive.

I don't know, it's kind of a Darwin Awards thing... if you aren't smart enough to take a refresher course when you've gotten rusty, you are just weeding out the gene pool.

If you are certified, you should be knowlegable enough to know that if you haven't been diving in 5 years, you should take a refresher to get those OW skills-mask clearing, snorkel placement, fin pivot and how to mount a regulator back up to speed. If the agency didn't stress this during basic OW, perhaps they should.

If you are diving regularly you don't need to retake the PADI open water course every year.

Requiring dive stamped logs may work for those that dive off dive tour boats but are unverifiable for those that beach dive or go off private boats. How would current dive status be verified. People would fudge their log books to avoid the cost, inconvenience and agency recertifying charges.

It would be a moneymaker for the agencies and dive shops and a CF for everyone else.

How did this thread get 3 replies, 4 views in the forum and 14 entries on the poll, don't you have to view it to vote.

I think the financial winner would be instructors and shops who administer the recerts, however, the reciprocate is at least the guy who is a buddy on a boat whom you might not know will have had to have something to bring him up to speed in the last 2 years...... you hope...

Mike Nebel:
I don't know, it's kind of a Darwin Awards thing... if you aren't smart enough to take a refresher course when you've gotten rusty, you are just weeding out the gene pool.

The case that started my thread on recertification involved survivors... her fiancee and 12-year old daughter (plus untold relatives and friends). Agree that people should use their brains (but, looking at the State of the Nation, how many do?), but there are many others who suffer if they don't.

CBulla:
however, the reciprocate is at least the guy who is a buddy on a boat whom you might not know will have had to have something to bring him up to speed in the last 2 years...... you hope...

That might be true. On the other hand he might just have fudged his logbook so that he didn't have to bother. At the end of the day you don't know until you are in the water. I've seen guys with supposedly hundreds of dives that shouldn't have a cert card at all.

Kim:
That might be true. On the other hand he might just have fudged his logbook so that he didn't have to bother. At the end of the day you don't know until you are in the water. I've seen guys with supposedly hundreds of dives that shouldn't have a cert card at all.

True enough.. was just playing devils advocate really. Personally, I really don't do dives I can't do solo with folks I don't trust or know. Don't get me wrong, I won't abandon a buddy. :)

drbill:
The case that started my thread on recertification involved survivors... her fiancee and 12-year old daughter (plus untold relatives and friends). Agree that people should use their brains (but, looking at the State of the Nation, how many do?), but there are many others who suffer if they don't.

A father's son died diving off of Deerfield Beach. It too was tragic. I'm sure the family was devastated. Recertification would not have helped, neither was certified to begin with. You can't make regulations that affect hundreds of thousands because of a few.

http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s040730a/s040730a.html

Back
Top Bottom