Would you "need" to be recertified?

Have you done at least 30 dives in the last three years?

• Yes, I've done billions and billions (at least > 30)

Votes: 65 94.2%
  • No, I;ve done LESS than 30 dives

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In line with my thread on the "need" for re-certification after a period of non-diving, I'm posing the following question:

Have you done at least 30 dives over the last three years or not? This number is an arbitrary one, an average of only 10 dives a year. I think it is a very reasonable lower limit. One good dive trip a year and you'd be OK.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well you both have me beat, but I only have to go back 10 months to get to 30 dives. Not too bad for someone who's not near an ocean!

-Rob

i like the sound of "billions and billions"

well... more than 30 :wink:

No, I;ve done LESS than 30 dives,

Punctuation is great though.

More than 30... but, may I please say, "Billions and billions" like Carl Sagan?

Walter:
Bill, isn't that your average weekly total?

Walter- Have to admit this has been my worst dive year in the last six. Betwen the poor visibility, plankton blooms and storms this winter; my trips back to Florida to be with my Dad as he faces the next world; and my dermatologist gouging my skin recently, I'm only averaging about 10 dives a month instead of a week.

Things are beginning to look better. The "wounds" have healed and I'll be in the water this weekend. I got so desperate the past two weeks, I boarded the semi-submersible glassbottom boats and toured nearby Lover's Cove just so I could see the fishies!

I wish I had more dives in the past year. I have only done 40 dives this year. I need 46 more before August to stay with my 100 a year average...

I think ten a year is pretty good for the average diver. Of course, I would go crazy if that was all I got to do... Billions may make havingn a job and other life related events impossible, though :p

L

I've done hundreds of dives in the last three years. But what kind of dives were they? I have one card that says I can dive an mix of helium, nitrogen and oxygen to a depth of 330 ft. I have not done 30 dives to 330 ft. In fact I've never been to 330 ft not even in training.

Numbers of dives are decieving. I could go to the local 30 ft deep quarry where there's no current or waves and easily do 6 dives per day like I used to do when I was teaching alot. Or I could go cave diving where I get in 1 or two dives in a whole weekend. One being a setup dive and the second being the real dive. In that situation you don't rackup many dives but compare the dives. I don't do that 30 times in a year and what if I don't do it 30 times in three?

When I go to Florida to cave dive dive I do only one or two dives per day. Again though look at the dives.

Numbers don't mean squat unless all else is equal and all else is rarely equal. This pole doesn't take that into account.

Back in the 80's when I was with NOAA, you had to dive at least once a month to keep your certification. I still try to do that, although the winter weather sometimes slows me down. In season I am doing at least 10 a month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom