Divemaster with extra gear a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning to do my divemaster course in August and since I'll be diving for free(internship) after that, I was wondering if carrying a camera and being a divemaster at the same time is a good idea. I have a Nikonos V and an SB105 strobe so it gets bulky sometimes. Would it be smart to be a DM and carry a camera at the same time? Would I be able to carry out my "job" and take pictures without problems?

Thanks
Jalal

I would have to say no. You should be focussing on what you're doing, not the photography, which effectively makes you a solo diver.

Just my 2bar

Dom

Im not a DM....and I have never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express either.....but if you were hired to DM...then DM....if you were hired to take pics.....take pics. But I dont think the two mix.

Are you prepared to jettison your gear if you need both hands?
Or would you hesitate?

No taking pics when you are DMing especially if you are assisting during training.

Will you be hired on and assisting as a DM? If so, then it would seem obvious to concentrate on performing your DM tasks...do not mix your own personal diving when working as a DM. The seperation is quite obvious.

Ditto on all of the above.

the K

The one exception is in the case where your employer has assigned you the task of taking pictures during the dive. For example, you may be tasked with taking a souvenir shot of each diver near the Mermaid statue or near the bowsprit on the wreck.
But taking a camera for personal use in addition to your assigned duties is a no-no.
Rick

No would be my answer also. I occasionally have the opportunity to DM (when I'm not teaching) and there's no way I could take a camera. It looks unprofessional and is a distraction from your duties, primarily, insuring the safety of all of your divers. Take the camera on days off, not on days of training or work.

Back
Top Bottom