Positive Side Effects From Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
I'm half asleep working on my day off. So excuse me if this is weird. But I'm bored at work.

Gymnasts are pretty muscular as a side effect from their training. Dancers tend to look great and have muscular legs due to their craft. Hockey players have non human cardio. There's many other examples, but you get it.

Well, last night I was at my Jiu Jitsu training and I was able to control my breathing pretty well even though my cardio, while decent, has much to be desired. After about 2-4 dives I feel like my lungs get a bit of a workout from controlling my buoyancy around reefs, navigating through wrecks and swim throughs, and taking pictures.

Do you feel better breathing control is a side effect that comes with scuba diving?

I wonder if patience increases also, since everything is done slowly underwater.

What are your thoughts on this?

The biggest side-effect I've had from diving is the relaxation.

The pressure of real life goes out with the bubbles.

Wijbrandus:
The biggest side-effect I've had from diving is the relaxation.

The pressure of real life goes out with the bubbles.

Relaxation is probably the biggest side effect. I've also lost weight (but only from the amount of money that has left my pockets :)

Perhaps some unknown medical benefit of elevated Nitrogen or pressure? How about increased metabolism from the body working hard to keep warm and to then warm the core after the dive?

I agree relaxation is probably the most significant benefit.

--Matt

I'm sure we could all list side effects. I agree 100% about relaxation.

But what do you think specifically about breathing control the way I relate it to my examples?

Sense of pride being part of a small group on the planet comes to mind.
Breathing control and relaxation, well thought out planning, deliberate execution of slow motion to name a few more.

Let me go against the grain here and say that hockey players have non-human cardio because they train *off* the ice so much.. same with gymnasts and any other athlete.

As divers we should be training out of the water even more than in the water... get in better shape in order to be a better diver in the water... work on relaxation and breathing in order to be a better diver in the water.. IMO you should be getting better at that stuff *out* of the water so that it improves your time *in* the water.. and if you're improving those skills *by being in the water* something is backwards. This should go for any athlete.. train to be better at what you do.. what you do as your sport is not training :wink:

So do your navigation skills on land? Practice peak buoyancy on land? Breath off a regulator and move real slow on land?

dlndavid:
So do your navigation skills on land? Practice peak buoyancy on land? Breath off a regulator and move real slow on land?
According to the original poster, we're not talking about *diving skills*, we're talking about general things like fitness, relaxation, breathing abilities, patience, etc, out of the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom