Diving in Monterey compare to SoCal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenazah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any of you ever dived in Monterey Bay ? How does it compare to SoCal diving ? I'm planning to go to the Bay are during the 4th of July weekend and I'm considering stopping by in Monterey for a quick 2 tanks morning boat dives.

Thank's.

It depends on the conditions at the time. Generally, it is a few degrees colder in the Monterey area, although I have dived there when it was warmer than SoCal. Lobsters are rare north of Pt. Conception but a couple have been spotted on the breakwall. If the conditions are good you can expect to see healthy reefs covered by a wider variety of anemones than you will find here. Metridiums and found shallower and on rocky reefs. In SoCal they are almost always found only on wrecks. During the Summer, the surf is normally calmer here. You can enter a perfectly flat cove along the Monterey Peninsula and exit an hour later in pounding surf. If you are planning to make boat dives you will be taken to sites that look as if someone spilled gallons of paint over them. The colors are brilliant and stand out if you take a light with you. If you're in moderate to good beach diving shape, you shouldn't have any problems there unless the surf is up. Check out http://www.metridium.com for some great pictures and videos of what to expect in the area.

Max, thanks for the info. It sounds really intresting. I'm planning to do Boat Dive instead of Beach dive. There are 2-3 boats that do 2 tanks morning dives.

I have dove there on 3 or 4 occasions always around the end of June and first week of July.

The last time I dove there on July 1st 2002 the temp was 54 Suunto degrees.

Point Lobos is a must, as are reservations.

Monastery and Spanish Bay Beach is a signature dive for the area as is Point Lobos. This is an advanced and deep dive and the recommended exit is on hands and knees referred to locally as the monastery crawl. Deep underwater canyon with nutrient rich cold water comes in close to shore. Waves rise up suddenly and flop over and have killed those who attempted to walk out. So like any beach dive, know conditions and local recommendations. The locals in the NoCAL forum will tell you more about this wonderful site.

There are many excellent dives in Monterey, the kelp, otters, and harbor seals all make for a great dive from beach or boat. Water will be about 52F or so in July so you can adjust from there. Winter is 45-48. Most wear dry suits or wetsuits with a core warmer (spring suit) over it. Dive shops are like gas stations in Monterey, one every other block. They even have a little cart that comes to the beach and picks up your tanks for refills. A very dive friendly town (they know a good tourist $ when they see one). Parking meters vigorously enforced.

Dives I would go for:
Point Lobos http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/scuba/scuba.shtml Reservation required as is a partner when you enter the park.
Monastery
Spanish Bay
Lovers
Any place there is ocean, there is good diving there. Kelp is everywhere. Buy a Franko’s map when you get there. There are local un-posted restrictions on some dive sites about when you can and can not dive (lovers cove for example)..
I would skip the break water where all the classes are held.

The Monterey Aquarium is a must see and an all day thing.

Do not forget the 17 mile drive through the giant redwoods and $$$$$ houses, past Spyglass and Pebble beach. Carmel by the bay is right there too. So is the former Ft. Ord where I went to Basic back in 1972 (a little history there) when the Aquarium was really a cannery and a very rough neighborhood. They really cleaned it up.

I would highly recommend you take the coast (route 1) out of San Louis Obisbo. It takes a little longer, but worth it, Big Sur and all.

Swell Model (note big swell is the norm there, dive early am)
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/wamglance.html

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/recent/model_images/monterey.png

Local dive operations:
http://www.mantaraydive.com/
http://www.cypresscharters.com/
http://www.montereyexpress.com/

Local Dive Forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ba_diving/

Where to stay, I stay on the Army base for under $40.00 - but you will have to stay off post at a hotel. Best Western there is not bad. No real recommendation there. Cost is over $100.00 a night. The dive shops have links to local hotels too. Local towns are Monterey, Pacific Grove (on the water) Carmel by the Sea and Sea Side (short drive and outside the gates of Ft. Ord, not as high class a town).

If you like steak an absolute must do is to go to AJ Spurs Restaurant. They have them near Monterey (someplace, never been to that one) Buellton (on the way to Solvang on the right next to the car dealership) and Templeton (10 miles south of Paso Robles, in the center of town all two blocks of town) Stop at Buellton at AJ Spurs Restaurant. I will guarantee it to be the best steak you have ever eaten and at less than $20.00 per plate a very reasonable and full meal (vaqueros soup [excellent], fried potatoes and onions, steak, salad, liqueur or root beer float $19.95) before 5:00 it is $13.00 for the Filet Minion and $11 for the Sirloin (what I usually get). My wife had the filet last time and.... well you just have to stop for a steak at AJ Spurs. We drive to Buellton to steak every so often, it is that good. At Carpinteria (south of Santa Barbara) is a good place to eat dinner (opens at $5.00) called Clementine’s if I remember right. In an old house, serve complete meals including pie made onsite for a reasonable price and not a bad steak

Wow, nice post Melvin, I'm going to print it out for my records. Thanks.
David

jenazah:
Any of you ever dived in Monterey Bay ? How does it compare to SoCal diving ? I'm planning to go to the Bay are during the 4th of July weekend and I'm considering stopping by in Monterey for a quick 2 tanks morning boat dives.

Thank's.

Monterey Bay area is where I learned to dive -its a great place to dive, if a little cold. For shore diving, you can check out my somewhat idiosyncratic views at:

http://www.mcguinness-family.net/diving/index.php

It's a work in progress, but quite a few of the monterey sites are covered.

I have only ever dived from one boat in Monterey (The Express) and I did not rate it very highly since, due to an artifact of the boat design, all the diesel fumes came back inboard and made everyone sick. Maybe they have fixed it by now - it *was* six or seven years ago, after all.

A place I have stayed before is the Del Monte Beach Inn, which is an unpretentious B&B with a diver-friendly owner. There is a rinse tank round the back, and if you tell her you are diving with an early departure, she will make special arrangements for an early breakfast. It's not exactly luxurious (private bath - what's that?) but it has a bit more character than the motels and it is very close to downtown - literally 200 yards from where the boats go out.

By reputation, the best boat dives in the area include the Pinnacles off cypress point. I have not dived it, but everyone who has comes back raving about it. If you dive it, let us know what you think!

Peter

jenazah:

Thank's.

Comparison to SoCal, Island dives from boat are failry similar. Not as many colorful fish, but more color on the reefs.
Stopping by for a 2 tank boat dive will take up a 1/2 day. out at 6-7 in by 1pm. Maybe less.
Cypress Sea dive boat is one I have been on a few times. Great crew and boat. Book in advance though.
If you are traveling light, I would recommend bringing your own fins.

If you photograph UW you will be pleased. Many divers will carry a light to expose the colors. I don't recall or think that many, if any people hunt off these. (Reserve mostly)
Most dive are 80ft or less, not much light below that. Viz is variable- good day 40plus, average day 20ft. Ususlly opens up under 40ft depth. If you get lucky the boat will go to a dive site that has the CA Hydra Coral. (Ask the captain if boat is full open)
Low if any current
Surge is usual
Kelp-similar
7mm farmerjohn will keep you comfy for 2 dives.
If you do shore dive ask locals for info.

Wow !! Thanks for the info Melvin. I did the 17 miles, aquarium and the big sur drive from SLO. Love it !!! I will try that Steak House though. $13.00 for the Filet Mignon, I'm there.

Glad I could acomadate. The $13 is the before 5:00 p.m. but a great steak. News item yesteerday said steak was going to $10.00 a pound this summer, and I imagine that will affect the resturant price some. But I have recommended this steak house to litteraly 100s of Majors who had to drive 100 miles round trip for the meal, and all came back and thanked me who went. AJ Sprus, you can't really go wrong. Monterey is good too. I do love the drive up from SLO. We would get 1/2 a day Saturday and all of Sunday off and I would hop arcoss the mountan out of Ft. Hunter-Ligget and hit PCH just south of Big Sur in some very interesting country I would love to dive some day. Makes for a great drive up to Monterey and a nice after noon diving wiht a couple of dives on Sunday and then back through Salinas to post avoiding the mountain pass on the way. Life is great.

A friend of mine dove Point Lobos last weekend. Temp was 50 degress. Pretty cold, but she said it was one of the best dive spots she's been to in the Monterey area. As Pasley said, you need reservations. I think they allow 15 dive teams per day (or something close to that).

Back
Top Bottom