embarrassing moments in diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
while on a recent dive, i lost my dive buddy, and after searching underwater for several minutes and then going to the surface and looking there and serching for bubbles and going through the proper protocall i was unable to find my buddy ( who is a new diver) after some time he did not surface, so i flagged down a passer by on a jet ski and reported a missing diver. well after two of my divemaster instructors and a rescue diver and myself (also rescue diver) and the local EMS and local law enforcment and search and rescue had showed up and started to get a search under way, my dive buddy showed up on shore and did not know the suface after one minute protocall, in part my fault as i did not go over that part of the dive plan, as i thought all cert divers knew this protocall, though i did what was right, i think , it was ambarrassing, ouch, lol

jim ernst:
while on a recent dive, i lost my dive buddy, and after searching underwater for several minutes and then going to the surface and looking there and serching for bubbles and going through the proper protocall i was unable to find my buddy ( who is a new diver) after some time he did not surface, so i flagged down a passer by on a jet ski and reported a missing diver. well after two of my divemaster instructors and a rescue diver and myself (also rescue diver) and the local EMS and local law enforcment and search and rescue had showed up and started to get a search under way, my dive buddy showed up on shore and did not know the suface after one minute protocall, in part my fault as i did not go over that part of the dive plan, as i thought all cert divers knew this protocall, though i did what was right, i think , it was ambarrassing, ouch, lol

Glad everything worked out and that all divers were accounted for. It's true that this should have been discussed prior to the dave during your pre-dive briefing. You shouldn't assume anything, especially when diving with someone that you haven't dove with prior or a new diver, as they may have simply forgot this important fact from their OW class.

I would reconsider any desire you have to dive with this individual again. He/she obviously didn't care about you being their buddy, providing assistance if you needed it during a dive.

Dive safe,

Mel

Embarasment if any should be mild.
You did the right thing and followed the right procedures.

It is much better to call out the troops and not really need them than to need them and not call.

Even a better briefing may not have changed things. Many times people (myself included sometimes) do not remember everything from the brief during the dive.

pipedope:
Embarasment if any should be mild.
You did the right thing and followed the right procedures.

It is much better to call out the troops and not really need them than to need them and not call.

Even a better briefing may not have changed things. Many times people (myself included sometimes) do not remember everything from the brief during the dive.
thanks for the encouregment, i really felt bad, mainly for the dive buddy

Better safe than sorry. I am however surprised your buddy didn't know the protocol. But, thanks for the reminder to add it to pre-dive safety checks.

You did good, your buddy needs his *** kicked and stripped of his card, then kick his *** again. He sure as the world wasn't one bit concerned about your well being. Did I mention he should have his *** kicked.

Many things can be overlooked at times.......everyone makes mistakes and things happen to the best divers. This though was nothing short of incompetent.

From the way you tell it it sounds as though he had been on shore even before you flagged down the jet ski and decided to call out the troops.

I guarantee you if my buddy ever shows up on the shore well after the search and rescue has started and I find out he beat me back to shore he will not survive the aftermath. I thought I'd heard it all. No second chances for this guy.

Everyone can quit wondering why many of us choose to dive solo, the answer has been revealed in this thread.

It sounds like your new buddy doesn't care you that much or doesn't like you.
How could he just dive by himself without getting to find you? It isn't matter of protocol, but human being. It is totally ignorance in my perspective. Does he know "Common sense"?....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom