Dive reel and light head use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ID diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to keep all the items in my hands under control. If you have a light head on your left hand and you are using a reel...

1. While the line is being played out (start of the dive), do you keep the reel in your right hand?

2. While the line is being wound up (end of the dive), do you put the reel in your left or right hand?

Does it make a difference?

The reason I ask these questions is because I see one of two things happening while winding up the line...

1. If the reel is in your right hand and you are winding with the left hand the light is going to be constantly moving around. Is this an issue?

2. If the reel is in your left hand and you are winding with the right hand won't the light be pointed more down than straight ahead?

Thank you for your help.

Use your same hand to control the light and the reel. That is why the top of reel handles is bent in (turner) so it is easier to handle a light and the reel at the same time. With cave diving protocol the #2 man in the team provides light for tie-off's etc. Your buddy exits in front of you and you have his light to see the way out.

EDIT: Sorry it's early and I didn't notice this in the DIR forum. If this is against DIR standards please let me know and I will remove my post.

Matt

Just to add to what Matt already posted, I was taught that if you are running the reel your buddy will know this and should understand that any stray light movement is due to this.

Jason

Now I'm curious about the answer to this one. I don't think I've run across this question.

I look forward to learning this first hand in a DIR class in the future, but for now... enquiring minds want to know! :crafty:

Christian

when using a pathfinder or a clone the reel is in your left hand both setting the line and retreiving. While setting my hand is orentated the same as if I was just holding the light. When winding in line I twist my hand 90 degrees left so my thum is on top. This way I just piviot my wrist to position the light beam where I need it. Practice and try it this way a few times and you will see this is an easy way of handling a reel.

ID diver:
I am trying to figure out how to keep all the items in my hands under control. If you have a light head on your left hand and you are using a reel...

1. While the line is being played out (start of the dive), do you keep the reel in your right hand?

2. While the line is being wound up (end of the dive), do you put the reel in your left or right hand?

Does it make a difference?

Although I only have done fundamentals until now I think I might know the DIR answer:
you allways hold the reel and the light in the left hand. The right hand is allways held free so at any time during the dive you are ready to donate air to a buddy.

I heard it takes some practice to hold the lightbeam steady while reeling the line in, but that is the case with everything. (I still remember the first time I used a light while diving and found it hard to swim with my hands ";-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom