Blue Springs- Indy, Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rtapia

Reaction score
A group from Southern Indiana Scuba is going to Blue Springs this weekend. has anybody been there here lately? How was it?
Thanks
Ron

I was there 3 weeks ago. I didn't get to dive much because my buddy was too cold to continue. The water was about 43 degrees at depth so dress warm. I didn't get to look around much because the first dive we were just working out weighting and stuff since it was the first dive of the season.

Good luck and have fun. I wish I could be there.

Chad

Ron,

I was there with ckharlan66 and another friend. Visibility was good. The water was cold as ckharlan66 mentioned. It was rainy, windy and 55. I forgot bring my warmup clothes and I got wet and chilled before getting in the water. It went down hill from there for me. WE made the first dive but during the suface interval the weather deteriorated and we decided against staying. Saw some little tiny creatures in the water not sure what they were. Saw some fish. Good place to work on skills IMHO. As the weather begins to warm there may be an algae bloom. The looked to be evidence of a large algae die off over the winter. If there is a bloom then viz will drop but may be good at depths greater than 20 feet. Things are pretty primitive there right now. Hopefully the new owners will get things worked out. I'm looking forward to diving there again especially during nice weather.

I'll let u al l know how it was this weekend..maybe it will be a bit better. Maybe we can meet there sometime this summer, or maybe plan a Gilboa trip?
Ron

Blue Spring was great today..good visibility, water temp. was 46 at 35 feet.. The place was packed until about 3 PM and then it emptied out very quickly..rain held off until around 6 so that was nice..i also found out its only about 1 hour from my house..
if any of you want to go there sometime..just let me know..i can do ti basically any day of the week.
Ron
PS
I saw a few small fish, 1 softback turtle and 2 water snakes..not much more than that other than geese.

Howdy y'all!

Just did my OW at blue springs this past weekend and had a chance to talk to the new owner. In addition to getting an air compressor (it's in the weird rusty barn), he's talking about major improvements including dressing rooms and some more points of interest in the quarry. He said he's getting some big concrete tubes (20' long, 5' tall) that he wants to paint up and sink.

On a side note, since we're all locals, if you want to take a couple of newbies diving let me know! Hubby and I are freshly certified and ready to rumble!

Rachel

Blue Springs is about 35 to 40 miles southeast of Indianapolis. Its just off I-74. The near small town is Waldron.

Take state road 31 W to 9 north you will go past Hope, In and then a bitty town called Wilson ( 1 house, 1 church and 1 store) make to 660 S follow that until you come to a T in the road and turn right is about 300 yards to the right or Interstate 65 N or S to exit state road 252, go 4 miles on Sr252, turn north on County road 500 W, travel 11 miles across SR9 until you come to COunty Road 600 E, turn right on 600 E for 300 yards

Just got an e-mail from the Blue Springs owners. They now have air fills on site for $5. Concessions will be available most weekends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom