This one little addition has really multiplied the fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am so glad that I bought a housing for my little digital point and shoot camera. This post isn't in the Photography Forum because it isn't about photography and those folks who read that forum already know what I'm going to say anyway.

1. Taking pictures and being able to share them with my non-diving friends and family has given them the chance to see why I like diving so much. Sure they have seen U/W pictures before... but when they see pictures that I have taken the realize a closer connection with them. Last night someone said to me, "I had no idea there were so many colorful critters underwater here in Puget Sound!" This is a person who had only last week seen another photographer's U/W photos at a craft fair. Seeing my pictures made the connection.

2. Taking pictures has helped me see again in several ways. Now I am looking for things to take pictures of so I see more. Also, since my vision isn't all that great and the visibility is often a problem here I see more in the pictures than I saw in person. Some times I take a picture of one thing and later when I view the pictures on my computer I see other critters in the frame that I hadn't even noticed! That isn't always because of narcosis... but sometimes it is. :D

3. Using a point and shoot camera that I can clip off to a d-ring means that photography doesn't become the driving agenda for the dive. But it does allow me to take pictures whenever I want during a dive and thus document the dive.

4. The cost of camera and housing were about $500 new and in my estimation one of the best diving investments I've made. Actually I had the camera already so the investment was the <$200 I spent for the housing.

5. The pictures that I have been able to take with this little camera and only the internal flash are impressive... and I'm not the only one who thinks so. I have some of them printed at 11"x17" (thanks to Snowbear) hanging in my office as well as some printed at 8.5" X 11" and they are astounding.

I read the header, and though you had gone out and purchased a dive computer......

Silly me....

I can't believe I went to both Fiji and Maui last fall and didn't have a housing for my camera. Thankfully I had one for Port Hardy BC.

No computer... that would seriously cut down on my bottom time.:D
Didn't find the magnifier... so I made another. :D

Glad you are happy with the purchase. I'm shocked anyone over 200 dives doesn't use a camera.

I agree with your sentiment entirely.

You DO realize that you now have a computer with you U/W don't you? :D

I just bought a housing for my little Canon digital. (Actually for its cousin but I was able to modify it to fit) It is about the size of a package of cigarettes. The housing can either clip on a D-ring or it will also fir in the pocket of my BC. I haven't used it yet as I bought it after returning from Roatan in February. STUPID _ STUPID _ STUPID.

I do need some help though. The flash diffuser shield actually covers the distance measuring port/window on the camera. (the problem with having to modify the housing) Does anyone know for sure if I need to trim away some of the diffuser shield to clear the DM part? I assume so but don't want to unless I have to.

I should probably move this to the photo board. Any help would be great. I want to go get wet...

Carl

Try it out and see! But I think you will probably have to do a trim job or drill a hole in the right spot for the camera to *see* so it can focus.

I would suggest not putting the camera in your BC pocket... that is a sure fire way to lose it. Clipping it off is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom