Trim Weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am process of shopping for a BCD and the one I probably will buy has pockets for trim weights as well as detachable weight pouches. This has brought up a question for me. What is a reasonable detachable to non detachable weight ratio?
My instincts tell me to have all of my weight detachable.
Does moving a few pounds of weight a few inches away from the primary weights really make much of a difference in the BCD trim?

while you wait for better answers, IMHO the ratio doesn't matter. The number you need to look for is how much you may Need to dump, and additional may be divided between trim pouches and ditchable weight. Being able to ditch in increments may be usefull also. Enjoy the "cool" diving available here in the north country.

My old BCD did not have trim pockets, so I have never used them. However, I had a recent experience that may provide some help for you.

I was diving on a boat that only used 1K (2.2 pounds) weights. It was a tropical experience, so I was only wearing a 0.5 mm suit. I wanted to use three weights (6.6 pounds), and faced an obvious decision about how to distribute them. I finally decided to put one in each of the the two weight pockets on the BCD, and I strapped the third near the top of the tank with a weight belt.

It looked ugly, but it felt great. I really noticed the difference, and I loved it.

I just got a new BCD with trim pockets, and I plan to use them. I am also thinking of getting a short bit of webbing and clip so that I can do that easily in the future.

I have a back inflate with rear trim pockets about a year ago. I haven't used the trim pockets as I have the same "problem", I don't use enough weight to distribute evenly. But I put a weight on the tank, same idea, and it made a huge difference.

Thanks for your replies. They don’t quite give me all the info I am looking for but I appreciate the try.
It is not often that a person can post equipment related questions on ScubaBoard without getting a flood of opinions pouring in.
Thanks again,
Jeffrey

Put this question in the DIR forum. You'll likely get a response there since ditchable to no ditchable weight, and trim weight, is an important part of fundamentals.

Heffey:
Thanks for your replies. They don’t quite give me all the info I am looking for but I appreciate the try.
I'll give you the answers that you asked for, but I guess you can say it is just my opinion.

Heffey:
It is not often that a person can post equipment related questions on ScubaBoard without getting a flood of opinions pouring in.
Thanks again,
Jeffrey
Learning to dive on the internet is a b$$%ch isn't it.

Heffey:
I am process of shopping for a BCD and the one I probably will buy has pockets for trim weights as well as detachable weight pouches. This has brought up a question for me. What is a reasonable detachable to non detachable weight ratio?
Wrong question. Its not a ratio that matters, It all depends on the weight of your rig and what kind of exposure protection you have.

Heffey:
My instincts tell me to have all of my weight detachable.
Then you would be wrong. See above.

Heffey:
Does moving a few pounds of weight a few inches away from the primary weights really make much of a difference in the BCD trim?
It can, depends on how much weight vs the whole.

I have 1/3 of my weight in each of my main (ditchable) weight pockets, and the last 1/3 split between the two rear trim-weight (non-ditchable) pockets. Helps balance greatly.

Back
Top Bottom