Proper Position of wing underwater??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
I am not DIR but just did first two dives with my new Halycon (single tank) Eclipse & BP. While diving it felt good, solid but when I tilt my head way back I can feel my 1st stage, it not a uncomfortable and trim is good. I can reach back and work the valve. I know reaching the valve is a good thing but does this sound like the tank is positioned too high?

Since you posted this in the DIR forum, is it safe to assume you are looking for the DIR answer?

I like to keep my tank higher up. I find this has a postive impact on my trim. The valve is also much easier to reach. YMMV.

If your trim is solid and you can reach your valve, and if as you say you must bend you head “way back” to hit the 1sr stage it sounds to me as if the tank is well positioned. You might consider experimenting a bit if the 1st stage is a problem.

Is the BP properly positioned?

The BP feels like it is in the right spot, hard to tell in freezer suit and drysuit. The belly strap is in comfortable place and even without the crotch strap it did not seem to shift when head down. I dive with a 20lb pony attached to my alum 80. The attachment mech is possing a bit of issue with the duel straps of the sta. Maybe need to find a Pony attachment that will go on the tank band, think I have seen one on line.

]

Take the class. Find some DIR divers in your area... most DIR guys are more than willing to help you along the way.

I posted this question here because DIR divers experience with BP/W. Without a doubt DIR/GUE diving promotes some excellent practices. I am considering taking the DIR-F class for some of the skills. Please do not consider the rest of this as Trolling. I just think my style of diving is contrary to DIR philosophy. Over the last 20yrs I have gotten very selfish about my diving. I love solo diving because I can go where I want, when I want , extend a dive, cut short a dive, change a profile at a whim. For me diving has become a chance to “get away” from others. I am not really interested in Deco or cave diving. I am happiest at 60fsw, on a big wall watching the creatures swim by. Add to this my passion for photography and I have become a lousy buddy. I will sit in 15’ water, eye glued to the viewer, for 4-5minutes waiting for a blade of seaweed with a Nudi on it to turn just the right way, so I can get the “perfect shot”. This self-centered style of diving is not a profile most non-photographers enjoy. I have had the opportunity to meet some published, world class photographers all admit that the vast majority of their diving is solo.

I appreciate the input and sure I will have more questions as things progress.

mjh:
self-centered style of diving is not a profile most non-photographers enjoy. I have had the opportunity to meet some published, world class photographers all admit that the vast majority of their diving is solo.

What kind of reg are you diving? I just switched to a bp/wing myself and noticed exactly what you're saying. My reg is a ScubaPro MK20 and I had the lp manifold up. I changed it around so it's down and it gave me another couple inches clearance without putting the tank valve lower and maybe out of reach.

mjh:
I posted this question here because DIR divers experience with BP/W. Without a doubt DIR/GUE diving promotes some excellent practices. I am considering taking the DIR-F class for some of the skills. Please do not consider the rest of this as Trolling. I just think my style of diving is contrary to DIR philosophy. Over the last 20yrs I have gotten very selfish about my diving. I love solo diving because I can go where I want, when I want , extend a dive, cut short a dive, change a profile at a whim. For me diving has become a chance to “get away” from others. I am not really interested in Deco or cave diving. I am happiest at 60fsw, on a big wall watching the creatures swim by. Add to this my passion for photography and I have become a lousy buddy. I will sit in 15’ water, eye glued to the viewer, for 4-5minutes waiting for a blade of seaweed with a Nudi on it to turn just the right way, so I can get the “perfect shot”. This self-centered style of diving is not a profile most non-photographers enjoy. I have had the opportunity to meet some published, world class photographers all admit that the vast majority of their diving is solo.

FWIW - solo diving is anathema to everything DIR stands for.

If you want to discuss solo diving and pony bottles, this isn't the forum for it.

We created the Hogarthian forum for BP/W divers who do not choose to follow the DIR way of diving. If you'd like, I can move your question there. You will get a wider latitude of potential responses from people who are more closely aligned to your style of diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No need to move. Some have be kind enough to offer advice on how to dive DIR and I did not want to seem rude by not responding in some way. At this point my plan is to dive with some experianced DIR folks and see what they think of how it rides.

Once again thanks all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom