Diving Tips From Experienced SB Divers to nOObies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
With so many new and yet-to-be certified divers searching the catacombs of ScubaBoard for diving insights and answers, I thought it might be nice to have one single thread with the “best of” advice from experienced divers.

So divers, if you had only one piece of advice and wisdom to impart to a new diver, what would it be?

Just two rules:

#1) Please post only ONE tip (your best insight or advice).

#2) If someone else has already posted yours, try to come up with a different one.

Of course, it’s OK to disagree or augment or add additional insight to a tip already posted – that’s what SB is all about!

So, share your great experience and wisdom with those up and comers. And if you’re a nOObie diver, read on, learn and enjoy!

I’ll start .

Relax! Take it easy! Diving isn’t a race or a competition. Take your time, look around and go slow. You’ll enjoy your dives more, consume less air (meaning longer dives), see more stuff, and have more fun.

Equalize early and often. Ear trauma will ruin your day. I start before I hit the water and every few feet through the first 20 feet at least.

Take the Peak Performance Buoyancy course with a (this is the key) interested and willing and experienced instructor (not one who is just looking for a quick easy buck). The quicker you can gain proper trim, weighting, and buoyancy, the more you will enjoy your dives.

Keep your composure. No matter what happens, remember that you have already done all required skills in the pool. If anything unexpected happens. Relax,Gain composure, and Proceed with the task at hand. Have fun and DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!
GOOD LUCK,
Lips

Don't feel that you are the only one that had/has problems doing skill x. Keep at it and don't get frustrated because it doesn't help.

Clasp your hands together--no paddling.

The faster you try to do things, the slower you'll be.

R..

1 tip, just expressed a few different ways:

Pay attention to that little voice that says "something's wrong", or "I shouldn't be doing this".

Be willing to abort a dive. Don't let peer pressure get you to do something that you don't feel good about. You are responsible for your own safety. Don't do "trust me" dives ---- anytime a buddy or DM uses the phrase "trust me ...." you should be on red alert!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom